Taylors 1964. What to do with 8 bottles?

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
snowb1965
Cruz Ruby

Post by snowb1965 »

I've got eight bottles of what I believe to be Taylors 1964 Quinta de Vargallas. These are what remain of a case I was given at christening. I'm not not so crazy about drinking port that I want to get through all remaining eight so I wonder if anybody fancies buying it in its 50th year? Issues. All the labels floated off in a cellar flood in 1970, hence my slight hesitation about what the port is. I took a bottle to a wine merchant in the 90s and I think he told me that it was '64 Quinta de V. One of the bottles has lost the lead around the top. A varied storage history. It was in cellars from '65 through to the mid 90s when it ended up in cool parts of the house but on its side and in darkness. Feels like the right moment to do something with some or all of it. Any suggestions or offers? I live in London. I have decent pictures which I've posted. Try pasting this. http://s827.photobucket.com/user/snowb6 ... t=3&page=1. If it doesn't work I can mail the pictures to interested parties.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Taylors 1964. What to do with 8 bottles?

Post by Glenn E. »

You've picked the right time to try to sell your bottles, but unfortunately their history means you probably won't get a lot of money for them. I'm exactly the kind of person you're looking for - I was born in 1964 and try to purchase bottles whenever I can find them - but even I would be hesitant to buy your bottles.

The flood is a big deal. In addition to causing confusion about what might actually be in the bottles, the flood may have damaged the wine and it would be extremely difficult to tell without opening the bottles.

The storage up until the mid 90s was probably good, but since then even the "cool parts of the house" are warmer than ideal for wine storage.

I can't tell for sure by looking at your pictures, but is it possible to see the cork using a very bright flashlight (or torch, I think you call them in the UK)? If so, you might be able to read more information about the wine, such as the vintage. That would be useful for sale purposes.
Glenn Elliott
snowb1965
Cruz Ruby

Post by snowb1965 »

That's interesting but not hugely encouraging. However I drank a couple of bottles in the 90s and they tasted good to me. But I'd be prepared to open one of them and do a tasting although you're in the USA and I'm in the UK so there's a technical difficulty there. I'll have a look at verifying the vintage as you suggest. Any other thoughts?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

We're not all in the USA. Taste one and let us know. Do you know if the one missing its capsule was intact during the flood? Sorry, a bit too specific, I know. Maybe you should be opening two then..

Only, if you're doing that, maybe you need to do it in company? There are some members of our little band very close to you.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I have volunteers in the UK who will hold bottles for me when/if I need to store them temporarily, so the fact that I'm in the US isn't really a concern. :) These same volunteers would happily join you to test a bottle, and I trust their judgment regarding the quality.

So if you're willing to open a bottle as a "proof of concept" to ensure that they're still in good shape, I would be interested in purchasing the rest. I'll send you (and some of these always-ready volunteers) a PM and hopefully you can all work out a suitable time for a taste test. If you are interested, I'm quite certain that they'd happily bring other bottles with them to the taste test to make an event out of it.

Who knows? You might decide you like Port (and the company of others who enjoy Port) enough to keep them. :)
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:I have volunteers in the UK who will hold bottles for me when/if I need to store them temporarily, so the fact that I'm in the US isn't really a concern. :) These same volunteers would happily join you to test a bottle, and I trust their judgment regarding the quality.

So if you're willing to open a bottle as a "proof of concept" to ensure that they're still in good shape, I would be interested in purchasing the rest. I'll send you (and some of these always-ready volunteers) a PM and hopefully you can all work out a suitable time for a taste test. If you are interested, I'm quite certain that they'd happily bring other bottles with them to the taste test to make an event out of it.

Who knows? You might decide you like Port (and the company of others who enjoy Port) enough to keep them. :)
An excellent plan.

I'm in :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I have volunteers in the UK who will hold bottles for me when/if I need to store them temporarily, so the fact that I'm in the US isn't really a concern. :) These same volunteers would happily join you to test a bottle, and I trust their judgment regarding the quality.

An excellent plan.

I'm in :D
I'm in depending on the date. And on the agreement of the original poster!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Many of us many more than one bottle of drinking are in the UK, and meet regularly for Port. Could you join us in The Bung Hole for a bring-a-bottle evening?
snowb1965
Cruz Ruby

Post by snowb1965 »

It sounds like an interesting idea. I'm unavailable for the the next day or two but will then decide what to do. B
snowb1965
Cruz Ruby

Post by snowb1965 »

Hi there all who are interested in this port. I'm still keen to sell this port and open a bottle if it helps to do so. I've checked the levels and I'd say six of the eight would seem to be completely safe. But I'm no expert of course. I've had a bit of outside interest but a gathering at the Bung Hole in London would suit if it was soon (next three weeks) and would resolve it all. Over to you...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

As I said in my PM, I'm interested and trust their judgment. I can't wait to hear your opinions on how they're holding up!

I suggest opening one of the "duffers" to see what the "worst case" end of the spectrum is like.
Glenn Elliott