1987 Churchill's Quinta da Agua Alta

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
smee204
Cruz Ruby

1987 Churchill's Quinta da Agua Alta

Post by smee204 »

Hi,

I have a case of 1987 Churchill's Agua Alta single quinta vintage port but I can't find much information about it. Anyone know its "drink between" date?
I had a look on wine searcher and notice it was up to £200 a bottle but is now <£100. Does this mean it is past its best?

Thanks
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1987 Churchill's Quinta da Agua Alta

Post by DRT »

Hi,

Welcome to :tpf:

There isn't much of this particular port around in the UK but if you look at wine-searcher for the US market it is priced at around £30 per bottle, which I think is about average for an SQVP from a small producer. I don't think the prices you are seeing at £100-£200 per bottle are at all realistic.

The Port will certainly not be past its best. I think you should open one and drink it. You should then open the other eleven over a period of a few years and drink those too :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This particular port is uncommon as there was only a small production. I'm stunned that Wine-Searcher was showing a price of £200 - or even £100 - as that is far more than I would have estimated the bottles were worth. 1987 is a pretty good vintage, but Churchill had only just started and were still finding their way so the quality of the port is perfectly reasonable, but nothing special.

These are probably pretty decent drinking today and likely to remain so for another 10 or 20 years if stored somewhere with a stable but cool temperature, in the dark and kept vibration free.

And just in case you want to know, I would have estimated this particular port to be worth £20-30 per bottle.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It's available in the US for $55/bottle, which fits with the £20-30 estimates here.

That's retail price, though. In a private sale you'd likely only net about half that. I've purchased 1985 Churchill for $26/bottle, and that should be a comparable Port.

If the 1987 Agua Alta and the 1985 Churchill are of similar quality, it's a fine Port. Not spectacular, but a very nice and high quality Port. I agree with DRT's estimate that it would keep easily for another 10-20 years if properly stored.
Glenn Elliott