pitters port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
mjbaber@talktalk.net
Cruz Ruby

pitters port

Post by mjbaber@talktalk.net »

i have a bottle of pitters millesine which says on the bottle was bottled in 1977, there is a serial number on the neck which is 681451, if i wanted to sell this where is the best place to go. can anyone give me any idea how much it may be worth?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: pitters port

Post by DRT »

You have a bottle of what is known as "Colheita", which is a tawny port from a single harvest. "Milésime" is "Vintage" in French, which is the target market for this brand.

Does it say "Milésime 1977" on the label, in which case it would be from the 1977 vintage, or does it say it was bottled in 1977, in which case it would be from a much earlier vintage?

There are a few bottles of this listed on wine-searcher.com at eye-watering prices for a brand that is not particularly highly regarded. Ignore the cheap stuff on that list, which is standard tawny port of little or no value.

Looking at the list on wine-searcher I think the market for your bottle is France or Germany. I would be very surprised if you managed to get half those prices in the UK.

Best of luck.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
mjbaber@talktalk.net
Cruz Ruby

Post by mjbaber@talktalk.net »

hi, no it says millesime 1944 and underneath it says bottled in oporto in 1977. thank you very much for the information, any thing to add?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

You could try selling it on www.bidforwine.co.uk/ or the German version of eBay.

Best of luck.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

We had a Pitters Colheita 1963, bottled 1972, stored in the spectacular winecellar in Casa Rotundo, near Pinhao. Pitters is the name of the importer company, the Port is produced by Real Co. Velha. So, although many signs were poop, the Port was still drinkable.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com