Graham 1985 case. Sealed and well stored

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Graham 1985 case. Sealed and well stored

Post by Glenn E. »

awc wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: As an investment opportunity, it is poor at best. Port does not appreciate rapidly enough to out-pace bonds on the financial market, and bonds aren't exactly the most lucrative way to invest in the first place. If your goal is to make money, investing in Port and aging it yourself is a rubbish way to do it.

For example, the 2011 Vintage Ports are asking ~$80/bottle in the US. For the same price, I can often get well-stored 1985 VPs (Fonseca, Graham, Gould Campbell, and Smith Woodhouse are frequently available around that price). Why would I want to buy a 2011 when I can get a 1985 that's already well-aged?
I completely understand this. The plan wasn't to make money and continue to make money, but to essentially convert this drinkable vintage into a little bit of cash and if possible buy a case that would mature to drink in a decade or so. I am 22 and while I enjoy entertaining my friends and could think up occasions to crack open a delightful 1985, I would prefer to convert it into a vintage that I could whip out when I'm in my 30s or 40s and more settled so to speak. Quite interesting the way the economics are working around it.

Thank you very much for your insight.
As others have already pointed out, the G85 will still be going strong in another 10 years. In many ways it is a very special Port because although it is very approachable now, I don't think it has yet reached its peak, and at the very least it has many years, if not decades, of life ahead of it.

I have 2 cases of G85, 1 of which I plan to keep for at least another 10 years. The 2nd case exists in order to give the 1st a chance to survive for another decade. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Graham 1985 case. Sealed and well stored

Post by uncle tom »

I am prepared to offer you £420 for the unopened case. If you sent the case to auction, you would probably nett less than that.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill