Port for as a Christening Present

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
willzza
Cruz Ruby

Port for as a Christening Present

Post by willzza »

I have decided to buy a bottle of Port for my godson as a christening present as I hope to be able to drink it with him when he reaches the age of 18 (he is currently 2 months old). However I am complete beginner when it comes to Port.

Can anybody a recommend a bottle to buy? I am looking to spend around maximum of £50. I am also not fussed what year it is from but I want to be able to drink with him in 2031. His Christening is this summer so I don't think I will be able to buy any of the en premeur bottles of 2011.

Are any of these bottles good? (http://www.vintagewinegifts.co.uk/acata ... Gifts.html)

I would be grateful of any advice anyone can offer.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Port for as a Christening Present

Post by djewesbury »

Some of the 2011s are beginning to arrive - check with a good supplier; that would be something lovely to open in 2031. Why not give Berry Bros a ring and ask.. When in summer is the christening..?

Personally, I'd recommend buying a Big Bottle.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

willzza wrote:I have decided to buy a bottle of Port for my godson as a christening present as I hope to be able to drink it with him when he reaches the age of 18 (he is currently 2 months old). However I am complete beginner when it comes to Port.

Can anybody a recommend a bottle to buy? I am looking to spend around maximum of £50. I am also not fussed what year it is from but I want to be able to drink with him in 2031. His Christening is this summer so I don't think I will be able to buy any of the en premeur bottles of 2011.

Are any of these bottles good? (http://www.vintagewinegifts.co.uk/acata ... Gifts.html)

I would be grateful of any advice anyone can offer.
i would wholly recommend a 1985 Fonseca as a christening present
i'm not sure where you are located but
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca/1985/uk
would be at the max range of £50

But defintiely check to make sure the bottle is sound

ask for pictures and see that the CELO (the white thing over the cap of the bottle) has no wine stains on it.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Given your statement that you're not too concerned with year, you have a number of options. I would suggest choosing a year where lots of houses declared, with a good reputation. I would also aim to ensure that the port will be at least >21 years old at the planned time of drinking, which is not difficult in this case; I would aim for 25yr+ (so pre-2006). To keep within your price range, you would probably be looking at >1980. Some of the lesser years may not age as well as the stronger years; In the 1980-2006 window the year 1994 stands out as exceptional and with strong likelihood of longevity.

Regarding choice of House, this depends on taste/style; As you're not especially familiar with port, I would suggest selecting one of the well known names, perhaps Grahams since they have a reputation for consistency, and (at least for 94) are in the middle of the price bracket. Single bottles of G94 are available from some retailers for £40+vat, which matches your target (unless delivery is needed).

Other options could include: Croft 1991, Vesuvio 96 or Warre 2001 traditional LBV; but I'd go for the G94. In all cases for the port to be in good condition in 2031 it will need to be stored well, whether being stored by yourself or the parents on behalf of the recipient until that date; you may know this already, but if you need more information please ask.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

g-man wrote: i would wholly recommend a 1985 Fonseca as a christening present
i'm not sure where you are located but
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/fonseca/1985/uk
would be at the max range of £50
This would be a great port to give, but adding VAT and P&P will likely take you to the £80 range for a single bottle. Uncorked (link) would be the place i'd go for this - they are a very reliable merchant, plus i've had a bottle from their Fonseca 85 stock recently and it was very good. The Wine Society (link) would also be a good place to buy from (but ignore their "drink dates" of "now - 2015"!).
PhilW wrote: but I'd go for the G94
This would also be a super choice (G94 being Graham's vintage port 1994). El vino (link) is not the absolute cheapest, but it is the first merchant on the list that i have any experience with. Again, will come in at £65 or so once you've added p&p (£57 if you can collect in central Londont).

These are two "reference point" ports - unless you really have to stick very firmly to your £50 budget i'd suggest it would be worth stretching to get one or other of them (but...have you got (or have they got) a nice cool cellar that the bottle can be stored in for 21 years...?)

[worth mentioning also that, personally, i dont think that the prices of the internet retailer that you link are particularly competitive. I also strongly disagree with describing a bottle of Taylor 30yr Tawny as "Drink now - 2040. A wonderful christening gift" - in my opinion these tawnies, which are bottled ready-to-drink, are really not meant for long-term ageing in bottle and would make for a rather disappointing christening gift 20 years down the line]
Last edited by RAYC on 11:49 Mon 08 Jul 2013, edited 3 times in total.
Rob C.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

In terms of options if you must stick to £50 as a firm upper limit, Coe Vintners (link) has Graham 2000 and Noval 2003 available at probably a shade under £50 (inc. VAT). Both would be nice options, and "just about" ready to drink in 2031 (though some would disagree...)
Rob C.
willzza
Cruz Ruby

Post by willzza »

Thanks guys for you help it has been invaluable.