What is this port?

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
RibeiraNova
Cruz Ruby

What is this port?

Post by RibeiraNova »

Hi,

I have a bottle of port which my grandfather bought in Portugal during WWII. I don't know what it is or if it is worth anything. I would sell it and give the money to charity if it is of any value. I had attached some photos to help identify it but they were too big to upload but are available if you are interested. It has always been kept in the house although there have been a few house moves in the last 70 years.
From the torn label the following text is available" Souza Guedes" "Bara......(label torn here)" "Especially bottled for Messers. M.J.Pereira.L.DA. Ship Chandlers. Rua da Ribeira Nova. 46-1 Lisboa Portugal." Seal at neck: "Vinho do Porto. Selo de Garantia. T 682845"

Thanks,

Ribeira Nova
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: What is this port?

Post by jdaw1 »

I can host the pictures  you have a private message.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Link is to full-resolution image.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The selo says that it was bottled after the early 1930s, so, likely, shortly before WW2. Guedes was a name owned by the Real Companhia Velha. It is odd that is was bottled for a company with a Portuguese name, but the labelling explaining the bottling is in English.

My suspicion is that it has more interest value than cash value. Open it and tell us what it is.
RibeiraNova
Cruz Ruby

Post by RibeiraNova »

Thanks for that information. It seems that "Bara........." on the label is from Quintas das Baratas which belonged to the Souza Guedes and Irmao company. I don't intend to open it after 70 years but would be happy to have it auctioned for charity to someone who would appreciate it or take a chance on it! Any more information would be appreciated but I might just leave it as a curiosity for the nest generation. I have "angels' share" whiskey distilled in 1975 which I'm more likely to open and appreciate!
RibeiraNova
Cruz Ruby

Post by RibeiraNova »

nest: meant next!