Vintage Port to Sell

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
DJH
Cruz Ruby

Vintage Port to Sell

Post by DJH »

Hello All,
Advice please - I have 60 bottles of Vintage Port to sell. All were purchased from reputable merchants and stored initially in my humidity-controlled cellar in Lewes and latterly in my Liebherr wine storage unit (at 13 degrees) in Maidenhead. All labels and levels are fine. The wines are: GRAHAM 1970 - 3, 1983 - 2, 1994 - 3, 1997 - 6, 2000 - 9, DOW 1977 - 1, 1980 - 7, 1994 - 4, 2000 - 8, FONSECA 1963 (level top shoulder) -1, 1983 - 8, WARRE 1985 - 3, 1997 - 1, TAYLOR 1985 - 2, 1997 - 2. All help and information greatly welcomed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Vintage Port to Sell

Post by jdaw1 »

That is a mixed collection of useful bottles. Anybody interested will probably PM with you a price.

How come you have them? Have you given up on the drink of the gods?
DJH
Cruz Ruby

Post by DJH »

Hello,
No I haven't given up on "the drink of the gods" - I will still have a dozen bottles left to sup. We have moved to a small bungalow and my wife needs more storage space so I am looking to sell my Liebherr wine unit and around 150 bottles of Port and other wines - some of them very nice bottles!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cripes I hope my wife doesn’t get ideas like that.

FYI, there are folks here who like wines other than port. Do list, or at least summarise, what needs a new home.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DJH, have sent you a PM, let me know what you think!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As an alternative to selling, have you considered renting space from an offsite wine storage facility? I rent a small locker in Big Yellow's site in Fulham and use this to store bottles that I can't fit at home.

It's quite easy to get to from Maidenhead if you avoid rush hour and is kept at ideal cellar temperature and humidity and seems to work well for me.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DJH
Cruz Ruby

Post by DJH »

Hello,
Thanks for the tip - but I have already come to terms with the idea of selling. A useful fall-back position though.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DJH wrote:Hello,
No I haven't given up on "the drink of the gods" - I will still have a dozen bottles left to sup. We have moved to a small bungalow and my wife needs more storage space so I am looking to sell my Liebherr wine unit and around 150 bottles of Port and other wines - some of them very nice bottles!
Have you considered selling your wife instead of you Port? In my experience Port is much less expensive to maintain over the long term.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

DRT wrote:
DJH wrote:Hello,
Have you considered selling your wife instead of you Port? In my experience Port is much less expensive to maintain over the long term.
Not to mention the way they tend to age in rather opposite ways.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT and PopulusTremula: are you being helpful?
DJH
Cruz Ruby

Post by DJH »

Hello to the wife-selling correspondents,
An interesting suggestion - particularly as we celebrated our RUBY wedding last sunday. Does anyone know of a suitable forum for such transactions? Are there accepted terms for describing condition?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DJH wrote:Hello to the wife-selling correspondents,
An interesting suggestion - particularly as we celebrated our RUBY wedding last sunday. Does anyone know of a suitable forum for such transactions? Are there accepted terms for describing condition?
Yes, have you visited TheWifeForum.com? Some of the same habitués as ThePortForum. I don't think I'm going to carry on with this joke as it could quite easily go beyond being merely amusing.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DJH wrote:Hello to the wife-selling correspondents,
"Caveat emptor: sold as seen" should give you protection from having to give a refund.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:DRT and PopulusTremula: are you being helpful?
And djewesbury too: are you being helpful?
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I find the wife selling scene in Hardy's 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' all too tragic.
DJH
Cruz Ruby

Post by DJH »

I quite agree. I'll stick with selling the port.