Dows 1985 vintage port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Henry2202
Cruz Ruby

Dows 1985 vintage port

Post by Henry2202 »

I have a case of dows 1985 vintage port that I was given for a christening present, however It would be wasted on me and so I am wanting to sell the whole case, it has been cellared well until the past year where it has been kept under the stairs due to moving house, I have checked each bottle and there is no sign of damage or leakage if anyone is interested or wants to know more just leave me a message
Henry
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Dows 1985 vintage port

Post by g-man »

Where are you located and what are you looking to get for these?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Henry2202
Cruz Ruby

Post by Henry2202 »

In Northamptonshire near daventry, berry bros have told me it is worth 45 a bottle but, would sell the case for 480
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Dow 1985 has really impressed me the last couple of times i have had it.

If Berry Brothers are willing to buy the case off you for around that price, i must admit i'd go for it as i think you may struggle to realise such a good price from a private sale.

If BBR is not possible and you don't receive any offers to your liking from this forum, you could either try selling through a different merchant (Wilkinson Vintners and Seckford Wines would be good places to start) or through auction (Straker Chadwick may be your best bet for a case like this).
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Henry2202 wrote:In Northamptonshire near daventry, berry bros have told me it is worth 45 a bottle but, would sell the case for 480
http://www.farrvintners.com/wine.php?wine=23525

I'd go with Ray's suggestion, if BBR is goign to give you that much per bottle take it.

Farr vintners is very well respected and tehy sell it for 430

Personally, if i were to buy this at auction, I dont think i'd pay more than 375 inclusive of buyer's premium.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Nett of sales commission, a case of Dow '85 is likely to realise about £350 - £380 at auction.

Hammer price is likely to be about £400 - £440 + buyers premium

I would suggest a fair compromise price for a private sale would be about £420.

(I don't need this case)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:Nett of sales commission, a case of Dow '85 is likely to realise about £350 - £380 at auction.

Hammer price is likely to be about £400 - £440 + buyers premium

I would suggest a fair compromise price for a private sale would be about £420.
even if a retailer is selling it for £430 ?

I can't see how the case would hammer for anywhere near 400-440 without the buyers.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

g-man wrote:
Add £125 for VAT and duty...
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I recently paid £44 per bottle for a small number of bottles from a consistently low-end-priced retailer with a sound reputation. I think Tom's estimate is very fair.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

RAYC wrote:
g-man wrote:
Add £125 for VAT and duty...
Doesn't hammer price at auction also need to add vat and duty, as they do stateside?

I checked my past invoices

i have 2 btls @ 71$ Dec, 2011
I have 6 btls @ 49$ Apr, 2012

I do stand corrected as I had still thought (incorrectly) that the USD to GBP conversion was still 1.62. turns out it's 1.52.

But even so, I'm surprised you guys in the UK pay more for the d85 then I did state side.

Granted, I don't buy as much of this as you guys do and I tend to bottom feed the auctions.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Doesn't hammer price at auction also need to add vat and duty
Sometimes, but as this a private sale, it would not apply in this instance.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote: Hammer price is likely to be about £400 - £440 + buyers premium
g-man wrote:Doesn't hammer price at auction also need to add vat and duty
uncle tom wrote:Sometimes, but as this a private sale, it would not apply in this instance.
I agree, however you mentioned that the hammer price of this would be £400-440 +buyers.

I'm pointing out that retail is £430

to which ray mentioned vat and duty and I'm saying that auction at least state side always have taxes added on the total price afterwards.

Which is why i'm saying that i'd doubt this would realize £400-440 hammer.

I would have thought that my price I quoted was probably the more realistic price of a private transaction.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

But that quoted retail price is subject to duty (£32) and VAT (£92.40) making a total of £554.40
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:But that quoted retail price is subject to duty (£32) and VAT (£92.40) making a total of £554.40
which brings us back to full circle,

I asked if the hammer price not include the vat and duty?

Because here in the states taxes are applied to after the final price, hammer + commision.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In the UK, the seller at an auction can either be registered for VAT (ie. a business) or not subject to VAT (ie. a private seller).

If I, as an individual, buy from a private seller via auction it will cost me the hammer price + buyer's premium + VAT on the buyer's premium. If I buy from a commercial seller it will cost me hammer price + buyer's premium + VAT on the total of the two.

The hammer price that Tom has quoted is from a private seller, so there is nothing to add other than buyer's premium (and VAT on the buyer's premium).
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I asked if the hammer price not include the vat and duty?
to which I replied:
Sometimes, but as this a private sale, it would not apply in this instance
Nor would it, if the case were sold at UK auction
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I’m confused as to whose estimates include which of VAT, duty, buyer’s premium, or anything else. Perhaps the original poster is as confused.

Please could there be a summary?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Please could there be a summary?
1) If the OP attempts to sell this case to a merchant or at auction, he is likely to nett less than £400.

2) If someone here seeks to buy a case at auction, the total cost, including BP, is likely to exceed £450

Conclusion: If someone here would care to offer the OP £420, both parties should be satisfied with the outcome.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:In the UK, the seller at an auction can either be registered for VAT (ie. a business) or not subject to VAT (ie. a private seller).

If I, as an individual, buy from a private seller via auction it will cost me the hammer price + buyer's premium + VAT on the buyer's premium. If I buy from a commercial seller it will cost me hammer price + buyer's premium + VAT on the total of the two.

The hammer price that Tom has quoted is from a private seller, so there is nothing to add other than buyer's premium (and VAT on the buyer's premium).
Interesting
Retail: £430 + duty (£32) and VAT (£92.40) making a total of £554.40
( a + b ) * (1 + c) where a is the price, b is the buyers and c is the vat

Auction: £440 + (22% Buyers) £96.8 + £19.36 (20 %Vat on buyers) is 556.16
Or the general formula a+ ab( 1+ c) where a is the price, b is the buyers and c is the vat
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Depends which auction you buy from.

At Strakers i think it would only add about £10 to the hammer price. Bonhams or Christies would be more, but initial bids would probably be correspondingly lower.

Disregarding one-off "hot" lots, I'd be very surprised if Dow 85 of unknown provenance is going much north of £450 at auction all-in on a regular basis. If it is, i might be tempted to sell some of mine!
Rob C.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Auction: £440 + (22% Buyers) £96.8 + £19.36 (20 %Vat on buyers) is 556.16
Or the general formula a+ ab( 1+ c) where a is the price, b is the buyers and c is the vat
Most UK auction houses charge BP at 15% with VAT chargeable on the BP only, unless the wine is in bond, or from a VAT registered vendor.

Typically, £440 hammer = £519.20 inc.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

At Strakers i think it would only add about £10 to the hammer price. Bonhams or Christies would be more, but initial bids would probably be correspondingly lower.
Strakers have become the biggest wine auctioneers outside London on the strength of their low BP, which is not a percentage charge, but a flat £8.40 per lot, inc VAT.

This translates into higher bids, which is good for vendors.