Selling Port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
whiteev
Cruz Ruby

Selling Port

Post by whiteev »

I have a bottle of 1950 Croft's Vintage Port, that I recently acquired from an Uncle that passed away, as I don't drink Port I was thinking about selling it.

Does anyone know where to do this and what kind of price I should expect?

Thanks!
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Re: Selling Port

Post by differentdave »

AS for 1950 croft vintage port you got me didnt even know they declared in 1950.
Generally speaking vintage port is durable and can go generations without going bad. That being said I don't recall 1950 being declared by many houses or considered one of the better vintages. I would say gather some of your uncles relatives, cook up one of his favorites dishes, crack open the bottle and share some fonder memories of him with the family.
Sorry on uncles passing and good luck with the port.
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

I believe that the 1950 vintage was widely declared, but the wines were on the lighter side and have not really stood up well to the rigors of time. Actually 1950 was very similar to 1960, nice gentle wines that tended to mature early, but really didn't have the stuffing for the long haul. In retrospect the 1960's are drinking really well at the moment, although judging from a few different wines I've had over the past few months I don't detect a tannic backbone that would bode well for longer cellaring.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Perhaps your best bet for a sale would be a local auction. Where are you based.

In terms of price I would expect this bottle to sell modestly, unless you are able to make any firm statements about when your Uncle acquired it and where and how it was stored.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 09:25 Tue 05 Mar 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

At UK auction, a Croft '50 in good order is likely to realise about £80 -£90, nett of sales commission.

I only have one bottle of this in my cellar and am moderately interested. If you are UK based, the bottle has been stored horizontally, and the level is still in the neck, then please PM me.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill