No idea what I've inherited. Help

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Ed Newbie
Cruz Ruby

No idea what I've inherited. Help

Post by Ed Newbie »

Hi all.
I have inherited 5 bottles of random vintage port, bought as an investment by my late father.
I need some advice as I don't know what best to do with them.

Are they ready for drinking yet?
Are any of them high value, and better owned by someone who will appreciate them more than me?
I am based in the uk.

Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas 1968
Taylor's 1975 (2)
Taylor's 1963
Fonseca 1960

Thanks all
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: No idea what I've inherited. Help

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Hi Ed,

You've got a good selection of port, a couple of the bottles being worth a fair price.

Vargellas 1968 is a nice port to drink now, ready and mature. This might net you around £40 if it has been stored well and you sell at auction. The Taylor 1975 ports are not very valuable but are drinking well.

If well stored the Taylor 1963 might sell for a little under £100 and the Fonseca 1960 around £50. Both are delicious ports and well worth drinking.

If the money would be useful for other things, these bottles would be fairly easy to sell. But if you don't need the money for other things then you have a fabulous start to a nice collection of mature vintage port.

And if you're not sure whether you like port or not, try one of the bottles of Taylor 1975. Feel free to ask if you want any help on how to decant or how quickly to drink the port.

Nice collection!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Ed Newbie
Cruz Ruby

Post by Ed Newbie »

Thanks Alex for your very helpful advice.
If I wanted to sell the 1963 Taylors, what's the easiest way?
Ed
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ed Newbie wrote:Thanks Alex for your very helpful advice.
If I wanted to sell the 1963 Taylors, what's the easiest way?
Ed
I'd suggest you start anew thread on the port forum called something along the lines of "Taylor 1963 for sale", say a few words about how the bottle has been stored, the level of fill and post a few pictures and then invite offers from anyone interested giving £50 as a minimum offer. You're not guaranteed to get any offers, but then neither do you have to accept any offers.

If you don't get an offer you'd like to accept over a couple of weeks then say so in the thread and we'll give some guidance on the next route to try.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Alex’s replies are all very fair except that I’m not at all fond of Taylor 1975. Your mileage might vary.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

jdaw1 wrote:Alex’s replies are all very fair except that I’m not at all fond of Taylor 1975. Your mileage might vary.
Everything else is pretty good.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?