An Ancient Inheritance

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
matt5shaw
Cruz Ruby

An Ancient Inheritance

Post by matt5shaw »

I have inherited two bottles of port. One of which is a Commendador of unknown vintage (but definitely very old!) and is sadly corked. The other is in perfect condition but has over the years lost its label and has no obvious means of identification. Does anybody know of another way of needling out when and where a bottle came, and whether there is an interest amongst Port lovers for an ancient bottle, even if it is corked?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: An Ancient Inheritance

Post by RAYC »

How have you been able to establish that the first bottle is corked?

If it is because you have already opened it and tasted it, I would imagine that the fact it is open is more of an impediment to a sale than anything else!
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It could be that there is confusion over the meaning of "corked". A wine is corked when a poor quality cork had a bacterial infection and contained the chemical trichloroanisole - which makes a wine taste of wet cardboard and mouldy mushrooms!

The only time you find out that a wine is corked in this way is when you open it and begin to drink.

When you are referring to the first bottle being "corked", do you mean the mouldy mushroom thing or do you, perhaps mean something different such as the bottle is leaking?

Pictures of the bottles would be helpful, especially of the capsule of the one without a label.

Can someone remind me who makes Commendador Port? I think this is a ruby or ruby reserve brand but the name is only vaguely familiar.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Can someone remind me who makes Commendador Port? I think this is a ruby or ruby reserve brand but the name is only vaguely familiar.
I think it is/was Tuke Holdsworth, which is now a brand of Ferriera.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

matt5shaw wrote:I have inherited two bottles of port. One of which is a Commendador of unknown vintage (but definitely very old!) and is sadly corked. The other is in perfect condition but has over the years lost its label and has no obvious means of identification. Does anybody know of another way of needling out when and where a bottle came, and whether there is an interest amongst Port lovers for an ancient bottle, even if it is corked?
Am assuming the capsule is either blank or not present? Otherwise your best chance is the side of the cork once you open it.
Old unknown bottles are defninitely of potential interest; it is useful to know any further information such as where/when the bottle was obtained (which you mention) how the bottle has been stored, and any image particularly of any label/label remains if any, capsule, the level of the liquid within the bottle etc.
Regarding the Commendador, as per Alex reply I am guessing you mean that the cork has in some way failed, e.g. leaking? (which ranges from a few drops have marked the bottle, to continuously flowing vinegar-smelling liquid!).
AHB wrote:Can someone remind me who makes Commendador Port? I think this is a ruby or ruby reserve brand but the name is only vaguely familiar.
I believe Commendador was shipped by Feuerheed.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

generic internet pic of the commendador port here
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

We have record of The Pegasus Club, a horse-riding club for barristers, drinking ‟Feuerheerd’s Port, Commendador Tawny, 25 Years Old” in about 1902.
matt5shaw
Cruz Ruby

Post by matt5shaw »

Thank you for all of your responses!
I guess corked was the wrong term to use. The cork has failed and the bottle has leaked. There is also some mould on the top of the bottle. Surprisingly though, it still smells like Port.
With regard to the other bottle, there is nothing left of the label and I have had a thorough look at the cork (even with a laser!) and there is nothing discernable on the cork itself. They were both stored together by my parents on a rack for many years, and prior to that, again on a rack in a relatives wine cellar. I will post some photos later shortly.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

How about post some pictures? If one bottle is a tawny and that old, very slim chance it will drink like anything you'd want to try again.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
matt5shaw
Cruz Ruby

Post by matt5shaw »

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (33.76 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (22.41 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (22.41 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
Attachments
photo-2.JPG
photo-2.JPG (20.41 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
matt5shaw
Cruz Ruby

Post by matt5shaw »

So there are two images of the Commendador, one full size and one close up of the label. The other image is of the unidentifiable bottle.