Smith Woodhouse Porto 1991 vintage

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
cclh
Cruz Ruby

Post by cclh »

21 years ago I brought 2 cases of Smith Woodhouse Portp 1991 vintage - boxed-product weight 21KG

They have been stored in a cellar. I thought my boys (21 and 23) would be keen drinkers of Port - but not so and give no signs of changing their alcohol taste

I have 23 bottles left - still in there original box (23 because 5 years ago we gave one bottle as a present) but now I am not sure how to sell them -- any suggestions?

R
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Smith Woodhouse Porto 1991 vintage

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you'd like to let us know roughly where in the world you are based, we can probably give you some guidance.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

would it have even been possible to buy the 1991 SW 21 years ago from today?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:would it have even been possible to buy the 1991 SW 21 years ago from today?
As futures, possibly, but not as product. The 1991s weren't bottled until 1993 (as you know).
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
g-man wrote:would it have even been possible to buy the 1991 SW 21 years ago from today?
As futures, possibly, but not as product. The 1991s weren't bottled until 1993 (as you know).
Was there even such a thing as futures on Port during this time?
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Futures, called "en primeur" were available in the UK. With 1991 in the USA, the VP's for sale before they ever left Portugal, were always called: "pre-release" even if some retailers did use the term "futures". The pre-release pricing for SW 1991 in the USA was $19 per 750 ml.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Roy Hersh wrote:Futures, called "en primeur" were available in the UK. With 1991 in the USA, the VP's for sale before they ever left Portugal, were always called: "pre-release" even if some retailers did use the term "futures". The pre-release pricing for SW 1991 in the USA was $19 per 750 ml.
Is there a distinction between futures (where the wine is not yet bottled) and pre-release (where the wine is already bottled but not yet shipped)?

I can't recall for sure, but my hazy recollection of port offerings in the UK over the last couple of years is that they have only been made by merchants after bottling.

Pre-release pricing on those 91s, adjusted for inflation, is about $30 in today's money. Versus current market price in the UK of £25 per £750ml. Makes for slightly painful reading - especially if, like me, you're incurring annual storage costs on new release wines!
Last edited by RAYC on 05:55 Mon 24 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Agree with ray. En primeur is generally done/referred to for pre-bottled wines. Were the 1991-1992's up for sale pre-bottled (not officially declared), post bottled, or after being officially declared but not yet bottled?

One would assume they would have to wait until at least an official declaration to know if any vp would even be released to sale.
cclh
Cruz Ruby

Post by cclh »

Hi

I am based in Potters Bar Herts
cclh
Cruz Ruby

Post by cclh »

We brought this a few years after my son was born - he was 21 a few weeks ago
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

cclh wrote:We brought this a few years after my son was born - he was 21 a few weeks ago
Ah, so likely purchased on release or shortly thereafter. Perfectly normal!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
cclh wrote:We brought this a few years after my son was born - he was 21 a few weeks ago
Ah, so likely purchased on release or shortly thereafter. Perfectly normal!
was just curious

First posting

"21 years ago I brought 2 cases of Smith Woodhouse Portp 1991 vintage - boxed-product weight 21KG"

assuming it's 2012

21 years ago would put the date at 1991. Which as we see a distinct improbability of such purchase :mrgreen:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:was just curious
Or was it an arrogant (and impolite) assumption that someone new to Port knows as much as you do?

cclh,

Welcome to The Port Forum.

You have almost two cases of good quality vintage port. Not spectacular, and not particularly valuable.

You could sell your bottles here, but probably not for lots of money as we have access to many sources and lots of knowledge about how to get good prices for the buyer. An auction would be a way of disposing of the problem, but you will gain even less money that you would here. A local wine merchant might buy them from you. Not a chain store, a real wine merchant. Try google to find one and ask him. But you best option it to drink them, or find a family member or friend who would do so.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
g-man wrote:was just curious
Or was it an arrogant (and impolite) assumption that someone new to Port knows as much as you do?

Derek
as those of us stateside have no such luxury buying on futures, let alone current releases which typically lag UK release by another full year, it was most certainly a curiosity.

If such post offends, I will certainly curtail future replies that give an appearance of sarcasm.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have no idea whether or not your reply to the question offended, g-man. All I would say is that when someone new asks for help I think it is best to be helpful rather than critical. There are plenty of wine related forums on the net where new posters can be assured of being criticized for missing the odd fact or two. It would be a great pity if people were discouraged from posting questions here for fear of such treatment.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:You could sell your bottles here, but probably not for lots of money as we have access to many sources and lots of knowledge about how to get good prices for the buyer. An auction would be a way of disposing of the problem, but you will gain even less money that you would here. A local wine merchant might buy them from you. Not a chain store, a real wine merchant. Try google to find one and ask him. But you best option it to drink them, or find a family member or friend who would do so.
A very fair reply. Drinking them would be pleasant, and more cost-effective than selling them and spending the money on other drink.
cclh
Cruz Ruby

Post by cclh »

Thank you -everyone
Really helpful
Yes - probably best to drink it and give a few bottles to friends and family
It was good to understand the landscape - so again thank you again
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Smith Woodhouse 1991 is a nice port which you could probably sell (if you decided to) for around £20 per bottle. As Derek has suggested, you could sell through a local auction house, a local wine merchant or through friends or family.

But they will be delicious to drink and - if properly stored somewhere reasonably cool - will still be drinking really nicely for another 20-30 years.

And if your children are anything like mine (or my god-children), I'm looking after their port for the next few years until they develop an interest in the stuff or my annual rental charge of 1 bottle per year means they have none left!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.