9 Bottles Dow's Vintage Silver Jubilee Port 1977 for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
ninos-restaurants
Cruz Ruby

9 Bottles Dow's Vintage Silver Jubilee Port 1977 for sale

Post by ninos-restaurants »

Still in the original crate, there are 9 of the 12 bottles remaining.
I am hoping to sell all 9 of the Dow's 1977 Silver Jubilee Vintage Port for £1000.
This celebration port created for the Queen's silver jubilee is highly sought after in the Queen's Diamond.
Please contact me on 07920058292 to discuss offers.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 9 Bottles Dow's Vintage Silver Jubilee Port 1977 for sal

Post by RAYC »

Thanks for posting - are you based in Lancashire?

I suspect you may have to moderate your price demand to achieve a sale on this board - Dow 77 is available from a very reputable wine merchant for £70ish per bottle and no doubt cheaper at auction. Even BBR, not known for cheap pricing (but instead as somewhere offering top notch provenance and no quibbles for returns of flawed wine) are only charging £76.

Though it is undoubtedly a lovely wine when in good condition, it is also one that appears to have an above-average rate of TCA taint and so is something that many are wary of spending top dollar on.

Are you able to provide any further information on its storage history since the time of bottling in 1979?
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

it's 75$ here auction in the US.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:Though it is undoubtedly a lovely wine when in good condition, it is also one that appears to have an above-average rate of TCA taint and so is something that many are wary of spending top dollar on.
I think it is worth pointing out that storage conditions and TCA taint are totally unrelated. In the experience of many people here, Dow 1977 has a high incidence of TCA taint (i.e. it's corked) but it has an equally relevant experience of this being a fabulous Port when untainted. Where it has been stored is of no consequence when it comes to the TCA problem, but is relevant for untainted bottles.

All that aside, your price is ridiculously high.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:Though it is undoubtedly a lovely wine when in good condition, it is also one that appears to have an above-average rate of TCA taint and so is something that many are wary of spending top dollar on.
I think it is worth pointing out that storage conditions and TCA taint are totally unrelated.
I was perhaps being slightly loose with phrasing, but my point was that a corked port is not a port in good condition. And Dow 77 has above average rates of being corked.
Rob C.