Shoudl I sell 1968 Grahams Malvedos etc... ?

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
nkfb1
Cruz Ruby

Shoudl I sell 1968 Grahams Malvedos etc... ?

Post by nkfb1 »

Hello all .. Some advice please if you would be so Kind.....

I have been drinking this wonderful tipple over many a Christmas laid down in a nice cool stable environment but am now at the stage where I wonder if I should be selling some. I have left a bottle of 1968 Grahams Malvedos Vintage , 1975 Warres Vintage and 3 bottles of Warres 1985 Vintage . I know the 75 and 85 are nice as have sampled those previuosly but the 1968 ?

Anyone with experience . And if I do let them go who would want them ?

In anticipation ....
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Shoudl I sell 1968 Grahams Malvedos etc... ?

Post by mosesbotbol »

If you are in America, I am into buying the 1968. Not sure if I have ever had that vintage, but my guess is no.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

/pulling up receipts

75 Warres- 35$
85 Warres- 50$

68 Grahams- certainly a curiosity, if the 68 taylor is any guide, I paid 105$ for that bottle.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

I could be interested--are you in the US? I'm in the Metro NY area (New Jersey) and would prefer to obviate shipping.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi,

My advice is very simple. Drink them!

You own 5 bottles of Port, none of them being anything particularly special. Malvedos 68 is quite rare, but is not particularly good (we have a few tasting notes on this site to demonstrate the point) and is very drinkable. The Warre 75, like any 75, is almost worthless as it is from a failed vintage with a very poor reputation. The Warre 85 is a solid Port, but not something one would invest in to make a profit.

At best I think you would get £150 for the five bottles if you try to sell them. They are much better value as things to enjoy with friends over a few months/years than they are as sellable assets.

Drink up :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
nkfb1
Cruz Ruby

Post by nkfb1 »

Thanks all . I am in the UK . I am somewhat surprised re the 75 as actually quite enjoyed the last bottle. So it looks like another 4 Christmases at least. I can live with that. Strangely though it looks like the prices for the 75 / 85 are somewhat dearer in the Uk. 68 appears hard to find .
Last edited by nkfb1 on 12:37 Wed 03 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

nkfb1 wrote:Strangely though it looks like the prices for the 75 / 85 are somewhat dearer in the Uk. 68 apears hard to find .
At retail, well-provenanced Warre 85 can be picled up for £50ish and Warre 75 for £35-40ish. At auction they can be picked up for significantly less than that.

In terms of your selling options, if you really did want to sell the 85s and 75 your best bets are a private sale or perhaps even ebay with a reserve. Selling via auction or through a retailer will take a good slice of whatever headline price is realised (if you sold the 5 bottles as a mixed lot at auction, i think DRT's estimate of what you might hope to receive back is a fair one, possibly even slightly on the high side after commissions are taken into account). I'd say drinking them is a better option!

You can see from responses so far that the Malvedos 68 is a bit more of an interesting prospect in terms of a private sale where the buyer is taking a chance on provenance. Since you are in the UK, i have sent you an email with an offer. No offence taken if you decline, however!
Rob C.
nkfb1
Cruz Ruby

Post by nkfb1 »

Thanks Rob I have replied re the 68 . I think in view of comments so far 68 to go if poss. Now got me thinking yet again ... 75 to drink one last time seems favourite but torn re the 85's ( poss all 3 up for grabs ). Off for a drink I think . :D
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

DRT's advice is really spot on--Enjoy them!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The advice you have been given above is rubbish. ;-)

They are just the thing to bring to one of our bring-a-bottle tastings. People often have counting problems and bring two and either or both of W85 and GM68 would match our typical calibre. Come along. Indeed on Monday 15th October is a tasting with a theme of rarely-seen bottles. for which Malvedos 1968 would be perfect.