1963 Feuerheerd Vintage Port for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
senoritasmile
Cruz Ruby

1963 Feuerheerd Vintage Port for sale

Post by senoritasmile »

I have two bottles of this vintage port which were my grandfathers and have been stored in my Nan's pantry for the last 40 odd years. I would like to sell them and would consider all fair offers.

I have attached photos as the labels are a bit crooked! and there is some paper attached to one bottle which I've not attempted to remove. Label reads: Shipped & bottled by Hedges & Butler Ltd, London W1.

They are located in North London, close to Alexandra Palace.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (111.55 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1963 Feuerheerd Vintage Port for sale

Post by g-man »

senoritasmile wrote:I have two bottles of this vintage port which were my grandfathers and have been stored in my Nan's pantry for the last 40 odd years. I would like to sell them and would consider all fair offers.

I have attached photos as the labels are a bit crooked! and there is some paper attached to one bottle which I've not attempted to remove. Label reads: Shipped & bottled by Hedges & Butler Ltd, London W1.

They are located in North London, close to Alexandra Palace.
in the pantry for 40 years huh

I'd give you 10$ each for them
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I might not be as blunt as g-man, but I fear you are going to struggle to sell these bottles for anything other than a nominal sum - you'd probably be better off drinking them or giving them away as a gift.

The trouble that you have is that although this port is from a pretty good year, the shipper is not one with a great reputation. Combine that with the fact that the bottles have been stored in a pantry rather than lying in a cold, dark, damp cellar and you have rung lots of alarm bells in the minds of the people who read this forum. The port inside the bottles might have turned into nothing more than sugar-water.

It might be worth you saying a little more about the pantry, or whether the bottles were stored lying on their side or standing upright.

Or you could resort to eBay...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
senoritasmile
Cruz Ruby

Post by senoritasmile »

AHG - Thank you so much for your informative and comprehensive response - very much appreciated.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

senoritasmile,

Firstly, welcome to The Port Forum :D

Please be assured that g-man's rather unfortunate bluntness in response to your very reasonable questions is not an good example of how we treat people here, whether new members or old.

AHB has given you sound advice and, as he says, if you give us some more detailed information about the place where these bottles have been stored we could perhaps give you more information or advice that would be helpful to you.

Thank you for posting your question here.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Old habits die hard from the other forum ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I've only had one bottle of Feuerheerd and it may've been '63. Was quite good FWIW. Don't give those bottles away, they are quite rare and hard to come by!
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

mosesbotbol wrote:I've only had one bottle of Feuerheerd and it may've been '63. Was quite good FWIW. Don't give those bottles away, they are quite rare and hard to come by!
Checking my notes, it was indeed 1963. I would not sell those bottles unless it's to me :twisted: That bottle can hang with big name 63's. I had it next to a '70 Borges and '70 Fonseca; the Feuerheerd was no slouch.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

It might interest the original poster to know of a recently tasted bottle of 1963 Feuerheerd.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Having had this on a couple of occasions now, it's not the top of the vintage by any means. But well stored bottles can still be pleasant. They won't command a high price from those who know Port and given what sounds like improper storage all these years means it will be a big risk if the Port has gone off.