offley 1980 boa-vista??

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
chrisbriton
Cruz Ruby

offley 1980 boa-vista??

Post by chrisbriton »

Hi all, I have a case of the above i am looking to sell. Would anyone be able to advise me on its value and the best way to sell online? thanks, chris :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: offley 1980 boa-vista??

Post by jdaw1 »

Reasonable 1980 ports can be had for about £40 a bottle on the inter-web. Buying from a private individual can introduce doubt about provenance and storage conditions (even if it hasn’t been under your aunt’s bed for the last twenty years, people will think that it might have been). In the USA Vickers Liquors has Ferreira 1980 for a mere $30 a bottle, and in the UK there may well be similar bargains on 1980 ports other than OBV.

So perhaps start by telling us more: whence came this case? Where are you located?
chrisbriton
Cruz Ruby

Post by chrisbriton »

Thanks for the reply!! The said case is kept down in a cellar at my sisters home along with all those things she "really needed".... and my aunt when she's invited to stay. I'm situated in Conwy, north wales.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The last time I had this was at Alex's '80 horizontal in May last year, and prior to that, a bottle that I quaffed at home in October '07. Both showed very well, and were from the same case that I bought a couple of years ago at Bonhams.

From the point of view of selling, you have the problem that Offley, being little known, tends to be Offley good value to the consumer, and generally sells below it's weight.

One of the best salerooms for wine is also in Wales, at Straker Chadwick in Abergavenny - 01873 852624 - I would suggest a reserve of around £180.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:One of the best salerooms for wine is also in Wales, at Straker Chadwick in Abergavenny - 01873 852624 - I would suggest a reserve of around £180.
Are there laws about insider trading at port auctions :wink: :lol:

Chris, Tom's advice is sound and I'm absolutely sure his intentions are 100% honourable - I just couldn't resist the jibe given that he is one of Straker's most loyal customers :lol:

My advice would be to keep the case where it is and try some port to see whether or not you can develop a taste for it. You have a very respectable stash of good quality, low cost Vintage Port. You will not become rich selling it and, if you develop a taste for it now or in the future the pleasure of drinking it will far outweigh the small windfall that you might achieve by selling it now.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Chris, Tom's advice is sound and I'm absolutely sure his intentions are 100% honourable - I just couldn't resist the jibe given that he is one of Straker's most loyal customers
They are nice people. But to show no favouritism, you could also sell it at Brightwells in Leominster, who might be marginally closer to you - 01568 611122. They are also very nice people.

However, I would point out that the Straker wine sales are better known, and their combined sales and buyers premium charges are (I think) the lowest in the country; so you are likely to get a good price there.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill