Two Vintage Bottles - The Chairman's and Porto Adriano Ramos-Pinto

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
bullybeef
Cruz Ruby

Two Vintage Bottles - The Chairman's and Porto Adriano Ramos-Pinto

Post by bullybeef »

Hey all!

I inherited two bottles of port, not a port drinker so looking to find out how much they're worth and actually sell them.

Porto Late Bottled Vintage 1985, Bottled in 1989. Produced and shipped by Adriano Ramos-Pinto 750ml

The Chairman's, Late Bottled Vintage, Produce of Portugal, shipped and bottled by Eldridge Pope & Co, Dorchester, Dorset, England. 75CL

Both bottles are unopened, they are both sealed with no cracks etc. They were stored in a cool, dry place for many years.

Forgive the slightly poor pics, had to lower quality as it kept saying file too large.

--------
front.jpg
front.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 13739 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 13739 times
Attachments
Back of bottles
Back of bottles
back.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 13741 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Two Vintage Bottles - The Chairman's and Porto Adriano Ramos-Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

Unwelcome tidings: these are not valuable. The Ramos Pinto 1985 ʟʙᴠ might be £30ish retail, so your likely sale price would be close to £15. The non-dated ʟʙᴠ is worth less than the cost of posting it anywhere. Sorry. Likely not the news you wanted, but still true.

Do you have friends with whom you could share the bottles? Or to whom you could give the bottles?

(Usually I encourage posters to reveal where in the world they, or their bottles, are. But in this case likely redundant.)
bullybeef
Cruz Ruby

Post by bullybeef »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:52 Wed 22 May 2019 Unwelcome tidings: these are not valuable. The Ramos Pinto 1985 ʟʙᴠ might be £30ish retail, so your likely sale price would be close to £15. The non-dated ʟʙᴠ is worth less than the cost of posting it anywhere. Sorry. Likely not the news you wanted, but still true.

Do you have friends with whom you could share the bottles? Or to whom you could give the bottles?

(Usually I encourage posters to reveal where in the world they, or their bottles, are. But in this case likely redundant.)
Thanks for the swift reply, I appreciate the honesty and the welcome.

I didn't expect them to be worth a lot to be honest, but I'm surprised the pinto is that low. I've seen online stores just now with places selling it for £50 - £85. Winedecider states that the average is £59 for the 1985. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, just curious why you value it lower, have you seen it sell for that recently?

I'm in the UK. Some of the places selling it for more are in the US or Portugal / Spain. Maybe this is why?

I don't know anyone that drinks port, unfortunately, to be honest, any profit on it is better than nothing. I had a very nice whiskey set which I was able to gift out as I knew whiskey drinkers.

Where would be the best place to sell the Pinto in the UK? I'm from Leeds. If you know of course.

Again, thanks for the reply I appreciate it a lot.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

bullybeef wrote: 16:00 Thu 23 May 2019I'm surprised the pinto is that low. I've seen online stores just now with places selling it for £50 - £85. Winedecider states that the average is £59 for the 1985. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, just curious why you value it lower, have you seen it sell for that recently?
I think you might be confusing two styles of Port here. The online prices you quote are likely to relate to Ramos Pinto 1985 Vintage Port. What you have is "Late Bottled Vintage Port", which is a different style and is intended to be drunk shortly after bottling. This style of wine does not tend to increase in value with age but "Vintage Port" does.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
bullybeef
Cruz Ruby

Post by bullybeef »

DRT wrote: 11:43 Fri 24 May 2019
bullybeef wrote: 16:00 Thu 23 May 2019I'm surprised the pinto is that low. I've seen online stores just now with places selling it for £50 - £85. Winedecider states that the average is £59 for the 1985. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, just curious why you value it lower, have you seen it sell for that recently?
I think you might be confusing two styles of Port here. The online prices you quote are likely to relate to Ramos Pinto 1985 Vintage Port. What you have is "Late Bottled Vintage Port", which is a different style and is intended to be drunk shortly after bottling. This style of wine does not tend to increase in value with age but "Vintage Port" does.
Ah you are absolutely correct! I was getting those two mixed up. It's why I came here to speak to the experts ey, thanks so much for clearing that up.

A shame it's not worth more but it is how it is. I'd just gift it to someone if I knew someone who drank port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Try giving Tennant's Auctioneers a ring. They run wine auction 2-3 times per year and might be willing to include these bottles in their next sale. If they do, you might get a little money from selling them after covering all the auction fees.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

bullybeef wrote: 12:00 Fri 24 May 2019
Ah you are absolutely correct! I was getting those two mixed up. It's why I came here to speak to the experts ey, thanks so much for clearing that up.

A shame it's not worth more but it is how it is. I'd just gift it to someone if I knew someone who drank port.
Glad that helped clear things up.

If you don't drink Port, what do you drink?

I visit Leeds every few weeks and perhaps a swap could be arranged where we each end up not going thirsty?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
bullybeef
Cruz Ruby

Post by bullybeef »

DRT wrote: 18:56 Fri 24 May 2019
bullybeef wrote: 12:00 Fri 24 May 2019

Glad that helped clear things up.

If you don't drink Port, what do you drink?

I visit Leeds every few weeks and perhaps a swap could be arranged where we each end up not going thirsty?
I drink Gin buddy! Happy to trade if you ever want to.