1969 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Clairejayne5
Cruz Ruby

1969 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Clairejayne5 »

Gifted to my son on his 18th birthday by his estranged father, he's not interested in port and would happily sell it on. Has been stored on its side in a presentation box, the label is slightly worn and it looks as though there has been a small amount of seepage from the seal. It has been given to him under the impression that it is worth a lot of money but not really sure whether this is accurate based on its condition.

Any interested parties? Or anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Photo attached!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1969 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello.

1969 is a rubbish year, but rarely seen. Somebody might want the curiosity value.

There’s no obvious photo. If you’re having trouble uploading then email it to me (contact details).

Where in the world are you? London v. New Zealand makes a difference!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Whilst I don't disagree with jdaw1's assessment of the year I do think you might be able to achieve more than "curiosity value" provided you can find a buyer this year. Port attracts a premium price for anniversary years so someone born in 1969 might be happy to give you a good price, especially as this particular year is extremely rare.

A picture would help.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi Claire,

1969 is not a great year for port and there was consequently only a single producer who actually sold a vintage port from that year, Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. Up until a couple of years ago, that bottle would retail for ~£80, but the price is higher right now as this is the 50th anniversary year for this port.

You mention that the bottle has seeped slightly; can we ask how long your son has owned and stored the bottle? The other most important factor will be the level of the wine within the bottle (where in the neck the wine comes to with the bottle upright, or how far above/below the join between neck and body of the bottle). If this is not visible on the photo, it would be worth checking with a torch.

Finally, please do give an idea of your location, as this will affect whether people might be able to collect, the likely postage costs, or where people might recommend you might try and sell the bottle.