Valuation???

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Valuation?

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

Found this bottle of port while cleaning out family home.

Niepoort's 1931 port
Garantia 326241
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Valuation???

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

Found a bottle of port. Interested in getting an idea of hiw much it is worth.

Niepoort's 1931 Port
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Valuation???

Post by jdaw1 »

GOLFBUMM4LIFE wrote:Found a bottle of port. Interested in getting an idea of hiw much it is worth.

Niepoort's 1931 Port
Please can we be told more.

Provenance? I.e., what does "found" mean?

Where and who are you?

Please, pictures of the bottle, label, capsule, level.

GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

I live in Charlotte NC.. i keep trying to upload photos but they say file to big
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Email to me and I will upload (contact info).

Meanwhile please do explain what is meant by “found”. Where or how found? How did the bottles get there? What has been their history?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Valuation?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you're able to post some pictures, we may be able to help you. Please also let us know where you are in the world.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Two threads asking the same question now merged into one.

[DRT as Admin]
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

So, my impression on looking at the photos is that the Garantia is of a current styling, the bottle looks molded (not blown) per the shoulder seam in photo 3, the labels look like a mishmash of modern and antiqued, and the capsule is similar to what Niepoort has used recently. I think i recall opening up even slightly older niepoorts and the capsule was yellow, and back in '31 my guess is it would have been waxed instead.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The label says Bottled 1938 and Decanted 1979. This is a 1931 Garrafeira - aged in wood for 7 years then another 41 years in Demijon before being "Decanted" into this bottle. The inconsistent apparent ages of the label, seal and selo can easily be explained if it was released from the cellar some time after 1979. That would also explain why the selo is on the outside of the capsule.

Looks the real deal to me.
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

That definitely explains the modern trappings on a a bottle labeled 1931, but is this a 1931 Niepoort "VP", or something else? What effect has Demijon>Bottle had (based on our tastings)? And has anyone seen this before from Niepoort?

[edit]
Looks like the answer is yes:
viewtopic.php?p=17086
viewtopic.php?p=45885
JoshDrinksPort
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote: 19:44 Thu 12 Jul 2018is this a 1931 Niepoort "VP", or something else?
DRT wrote: 19:09 Thu 12 Jul 2018This is a 1931 Garrafeira - aged in wood for 7 years then another 41 years in Demijon before being "Decanted" into this bottle.
Garrafeira is a style of Colheita. It is not VP :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Even closer...
https://www.jahrhundertweine.de/shpSR.p ... 257&p2=531
https://www.idealwine.com/uk/acheter-vi ... edium=FEED

Based on those Euro prices, looks like you could probably ask a little more, esp with the bottle in decent condition.
JoshDrinksPort
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

Bottle is in great condition... I live in North Carolina, USA. Is $1000(American Dollars) seem reasonable?
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

Where would i sell a bottle like this?
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

I found this old auction link online sold for $925. Does this seem reasonable

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/173 ... ed-in-1979
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

You can try looking for a consigner (Benchmark) or for a wine auctioneer (zachys, acker merrall condit), or you can look for one of the "sell your wine" online sites/auctions. In any case, you'll be asked for details on how the wine was kept.
JoshDrinksPort
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

From the label, this appears to be a 1931 Niepoort Garrafeira port - note this is neither a "vintage port" nor a "tawny"/"colheita", but a separate relatively uncommon style of port created by the process described by DRT.

The label and bottle appear genuine, of the expected type. The capsule is the same colour as those I have seen on Ni31g previously, though I think I have only seen plain red capsules. The selo seems suprisingly clean to me given the label, but this is something I have seen before on another similar bottle so perhaps not an issue; though I would note that the selo on previous bottles has always been under the capsule rather than over it - which is my only warning flag from the images - though I also note that the auction you linked on Catawiki has a very similar looking bottle to yours in every respect.

Regarding value, this will depend on the bottle provenance, where it has come from and how it has been stored, if known. Can you comment on this last?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: RE: Re: Valuation???

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Provenance? I.e., what does "found" mean?
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

By "found" i mean my grandfather who , recently passed, had a wine collection. Majority of wine good to drink not much value.

But in his collection i found this
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

It was stored in a homes wine collection. Not in cellar or fridge. Stored at air conditioned home.

Provenance: product of Portugal
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

In broad terms, Garrafeiras should be treated and stored like Vintage Ports (or red wines). Unfortunately, stored in an air conditioned home not in a cellar or fridge is not proper storage conditions. It's not horrible, but it's not what I would expect for an expensive bottle of wine. So to me, this bottle would not be worth what a properly stored bottle might fetch.

Also note that a private sale will rarely fetch the prices that you see on the internet. In the US you can often approach 70% of internet prices; in the UK it's more like 50%. So while a properly stored bottle like this might sell for $1000 via an internet retailer, it would likely only sell for $700 (if you're lucky) in the US or $500 in the UK.

Factor in the storage conditions and I would estimate $350 to $450 in the US for a private sale. Perhaps $300 in the UK.
Glenn Elliott
GOLFBUMM4LIFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by GOLFBUMM4LIFE »

Thank you... Do you know how to sell it in US?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

GOLFBUMM4LIFE wrote:Thank you... Do you know how to sell it in US?
The states are complicated as every state has different laws and shipping wine as a private person is even more difficult (as in if you ship it illegally they confiscate it and destroy it if they find it). Add in no shipping until at least October too due to heat too. Best best is an auction house or sell to someone in your state you can hand deliver to. Or wait until winter and then sell it (probably the best bet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk