Cockburns Vintage 1950

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
ncosta
Cheap Ruby

Cockburns Vintage 1950

Post by ncosta »

Hi People,

i found someone selling a Cockburns Vintage 1950, the bottle seems ok to me, the level is also ok with no drop.

He's selling it for 180€, do you think is a good buy?

Br's,
Nuno.
Attachments
2porto-cockburns-vintage-1950.jpg
2porto-cockburns-vintage-1950.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
1porto-cockburns-vintage-1950.jpg
1porto-cockburns-vintage-1950.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Cockburns Vintage 1950

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve never seen a Cockburn with that color (what appears to be a newer) wax seal and a Selo on top of it. Beware.
ncosta
Cheap Ruby

Post by ncosta »

Thanks Andy,

in some way i agree with you, the wax seal seems very new for 70 year old bottle and the entire bottle doesn't seem so old.

I don't know what to do, neither if the price is correct.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

I have a Cockburn's VP 1950 in the cellar; what is left of the wax seal might be described as dark brown in colour, making for only a slight contrast to the colour of the bottle itself. Evidently, the same wax was used by Cockburn's to seal the 1947 VP - or so it seems when I hold the two bottles next to one another. There is no selo remaining on my 1950; on the '47 it has been applied atop the wax seal, as in the photos you have posted. The problem with the photos appended here is that the resolution is insufficient for me to tell whether the colour of the wax seal matches that on my bottles. All that noted, I think that the price you are being asked for the '50 is rather high. By way of comparison, I purchased the same bottle at auction for about EUR 60 (which admittedly was perhaps a bit of a buy).
ncosta
Cheap Ruby

Post by ncosta »

Thanks Will W.

I have other photos, can i send you some detail photos so you can compare with your bottle?

The remaining selo on the bottle seems very old, if the bottle was opened it had to be at least 20 or 30 years ago because this selo seems very old, on the other hand what seems strange is the wax seal that seems that is not so old.

Many thanks.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

No problem. Send me a private message whereupon I will provide you with an email address to which to send the photos.