Dows vintage 1985 and Fonseca 1985 port for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Lesley
Cruz Ruby

Dows vintage 1985 and Fonseca 1985 port for sale

Post by Lesley »

I've been asked to sell some bottles of port for my brother. He has 9 bottles of 1985 Fonseca and 3 bottles of Dows 1985. The port has been stored on its side and is located in Berkhamsted, Herts. He wants £50 per bottle for the Dows and £55 for the Fonseca. Collection only.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Dows vintage 1985 and Fonseca 1985 port for sale

Post by flash_uk »

Hi Lesley, and welcome to the port forum. My initial reaction is that your brother’s desired prices are more than ambitious. As an example, the Fonseca ‘85 can be purchased from a top quality wine merchant for just over £54 a bottle, or with delivery maybe £56:

http://www.seckfordwines.co.uk/wines.as ... =0&order=1

Anyone purchasing in a private sale would therefore be unwilling to pay anything like £55. Something in the region of £30 would be more likely. One option would be to place the bottles for auction with one of the London auction houses, but this would also require that you have the bottles shipped to the auction house. Others might be better placed to advise whether the auction houses would arrange for collection. After the auction house takes it’s fee/commission you might find you are receiving not much more or even less than £30 per bottle.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Hi and welcome, Lesley. Can I ask what room and temperature the port has been in/at (a cellar, garage, shed, loft, a regular room)?
I'm actually only 15 miles away in Bucks, so could be tempted, whilst seconding flash's comments on price.
Lesley
Cruz Ruby

Post by Lesley »

Hi I'd have to ask my father as he is storing it. I appreciate the comments on price and am happy to negotiate. I will speak to him and respond.
Lesley
Cruz Ruby

Post by Lesley »

I've spoken to my father and he says it was stored in the garage when my brother had it and then whilst it's been in my father's care it was stored in a cupboard away from central heating but he doesn't know what temperature. If you would like to talk to him about it, I can let you have his phone number.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Thanks for the quick reply Leslie (and sorry for the slow response). I've been burned before with a couple of auction bottles from garages, so might pass on this one. Best of luck with someone else.