Vintage Port - Souza and Grahams

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Pompey
Cruz Ruby

Vintage Port - Souza and Grahams

Post by Pompey »

My mother-in-law has asked me to sell my late father-in-laws port. He sadly passed away 7 years ago, and it has been laying in cool dark storage since long before then. The bottles have now been moved to my house, where they are laying in a wine rack in a cool room.

I have no idea of value, so I am relying on the honesty of people on here.

The bottles are as follows:
1 x Souza 1970 Vintage Port 75cl
1 x Souza 1978 Vintage Port 75cl
2 x Graham's Malvedos 1979 Vintage Port (bottled in 1981) 75cl
2 x Souza 1981 Vintage Port (bottled in 1986) 75cl

All seals seem intact, I've tried not to disturb them too much.

Photos are shaered via OneDrive here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvD6STl6zfy0goQlGSGmcg9UbD66bQ

I am based in Harlow in Essex
Last edited by Pompey on 13:20 Sat 03 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Vintage Port - Souza and Grahams

Post by DRT »

Hi,

You have a collection of unusual Ports but unfortunately none that would attract high prices.

The Graham Malvedos 1979 is an older vintage of a brand you would currently see for about £25 for in Tesco or Sainsbury. Being a bit older you might get a few pounds more than that for it, but not a lot more.

The Souza ports are quite unusual to find in the UK but that house is not renowned for making this style of Port. Their main production is Port aged for many years in wood and then bottled when ready to drink. The ones you have are bottle aged Ports, which is not Souza's speciality. The 1970 is the one most likely to spark interest as it was a universally fabulous vintage. If the bottle has been well stored it should be very nice. In a private sale I think you might get £50-£75 for it. 1978 was not a good year and I think you are looking at about half that estimate for that bottle. The 1981s are "Late Bottled Vintage Port", which is not the same as "Vintage Port" and does not command a high price. I think £15-£20 per bottle would be the most you should hope for with those.

The good news is they all look to be in great condition so hopefully soon will be interested in buying them.

Can you please tell us where you are?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Can you let us know where you are based. I would potentially be interested in making an offer on some or all of the bottles depending on ease of collection.
Many thanks,
Simon
Pompey
Cruz Ruby

Post by Pompey »

Sorry, I forgot to put that on. I am based in Harlow in Essex - postcode CM22 2NT if that helps

Thanks for your interest

Mike
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Thanks Mike, I will send you a private message.

Simon