Cockburn Smithes & Co (1950)

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
tzeentch
Cruz Ruby

Cockburn Smithes & Co (1950)

Post by tzeentch »

Hi everyone.

While clearing out my grandfather's house, I found an unopened bottle of Cockburn Smithes & Co (1950) Port.

On asking him about it, it turns out he used to work for Cockburns and that he bottled it himself.

Our family intend to drink it because he is very ill and probably won't be around for much longer, but I was hoping to ascertain it's value so we can feel special as we do.

From reading the other posts in the forum, I gather that you need to know that there is no seepage, the level is very high in the neck, and that while my grandfather tells me he stored it horizontally, from how I found it I guess that it has spent at least the last 5 and up to the last 10 years vertically.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Cockburn Smithes & Co (1950)

Post by flash_uk »

HI there, and welcome to the forum. You can read some tasting notes on the Cockburn 1950 here. A splendid idea to open the bottle and enjoy it with your grandfather. Judging from the few tasting notes here on the forum, I would open and decant the port a couple of hours before you intend drinking it. As to value, there are not a huge number of the 1950 ports appearing for sale any more. I'd say you could find yourself paying £200 at auction, perhaps more.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Where did you find it stored?

1950 is not a great vintage. Most I've had over the years have seen their best days already and have been on the decline. It's not a vintage I would spend much money on.

Opening with family to enjoy together is probably the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tzeentch
Cruz Ruby

Post by tzeentch »

Thanks all for your help so far.

It was in the cellar, so i’m reasonably confident there has been very little temperature variation over it’s life.

My grandfather isn’t as lucid as he used to be, but I understand he held a fairly responsible position at Cockburns so it’s safe to assume he knew what he was doing regarding storing it properly.

I think that the cellar has been tidied/reorganised by one of my other family members but that would only have been in the last 5ish years.

There is quite a noticeable sediment - is that normal?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Sediment is perfectly normal. This is why the port needs to be decanted through a filter. Cheesecloth is great if you have some.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

flash_uk wrote:Sediment is perfectly normal. This is why the port needs to be decanted through a filter. Cheesecloth is great if you have some.
+1

What was your grandfathers name, if you don't mind sharing?

tzeentch
Cruz Ruby

Post by tzeentch »

Hi Andy,

I don’t mind sharing, but can I ask first why you want to know?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

tzeentch wrote:Hi Andy,

I don’t mind sharing, but can I ask first why you want to know?
I sent you a message. I only ask as the Port trade was quite small then and if you are perhaps interested, I'm sure between all of us here we could find out some fun facts of his time there to pass on to you. Cockburns was one of the highly regarded companies back then.

tzeentch
Cruz Ruby

Post by tzeentch »

Hi Andy, thanks for the message.

His name was R0n@ld H@ll€n

(I’ve obsfucated it so it isn’t Googleable).

Thanks!