Real Companhia Velha vintage Ports

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Tall Paul
Cruz Ruby

Real Companhia Velha vintage Ports

Post by Tall Paul »

Good morning all, as i'm new to the site, forgive any errors.
Following the death of my Dad last year, I am now looking to sell his vintage bottles, as I don't share his passion for Port. These were purchased from him at the actual vineyard/ winery in Portugal.

The 3x bottles are dated as follows:
1944, 1967 and 1985.

All seals are intact, and all bottles are 100 % full, so no leakage over the passage of time.

All bottles have been stored in dark cool conditions, very little exposure to light.

Located in Manchester, UK.

Looking for advice on prices and interest in purchasing these three bottles.

Paul
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Real Companhia Velha vintage Ports

Post by Andy Velebil »

"RCV" and "Royal Oporto" are the same company, just different labels, for reference.

Is the 1944 a tawny (Colheita) Port? Perhaps in a decorative clear glass bottle? If so, what is the bottling date (there should be a date it was put into bottle somewhere on the front or back label. This will help answer what's it worth.

I don't think I've ever seen a tasting note on a 1967. However, the company wasn't known for making very good Vintage Ports around this time period. And does the label say "Late Bottle Vintage" or just "Vintage Port", they made both. Basically not worth a whole lot, but the UK based folks on here may be able to give a better estimate depending on if it's a Late Bottle Vintage or Vintage Port.

1985 is a terrible vintage for them and basically worthless.
Tall Paul
Cruz Ruby

Post by Tall Paul »

Andy, the '44 states 'Colheita de 1944' on the front label, no back label or any other dates I can see. Dark green glass.

'67 states 'late bottled vintage'.

thanks for the swift reply and info thanks.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tall Paul wrote: 12:50 Sun 03 Sep 2017 Andy, the '44 states 'Colheita de 1944' on the front label, no back label or any other dates I can see. Dark green glass.

'67 states 'late bottled vintage'.

thanks for the swift reply and info thanks.
The 1944 is a wood aged Port, called a Tawny or "Colheita". I've never personally seen one in green glass so I have to assume it's a quite old bottling of it. Before they started using the decorative cut glass ones they've used for roughly the past 20 years or so. As for value, that will affect it quite a bit. These aren't meant to age in bottle and while it won't go bad it won't be at it's best as intended by the producer. I've had more current bottlings over the years and it's very nice, though not outstanding, Colheita. Being you're in the UK prices there for these are significantly less than here in the States. I'd probably put it around $100-150 Pounds for an extremely well stored bottle (though again, the UK folks can be of a more accurate help).

(EDIT: an check online shows a 1944 RO in green glass that was bottled in 1987. Since yours has no bottling date I'd suspect it's an even older bottling of it than that)

Being the '67 is an "LBV" really lowers the value. Odds are this isn't that good of a bottle at this point and given the producers poor reputation for Ruby Ports back then, Perhaps worth $20-30 Pounds. Probably not worth the trouble trying to sell it.

I'd suggest you open the '85 and '67 with friends and hope for the best, but have back-up bottles of something on hand in case they are not drinkable. The '44 may be worth selling but I'm afraid it's probably an old bottling and that will seriously affect the price it's worth. Or use this as the back-up bottle.

Where was the "Cool dark" place they were stored in you mentioned?
Tall Paul
Cruz Ruby

Post by Tall Paul »

they were stored in a cupboard under the stairs of the house.
Tall Paul
Cruz Ruby

Post by Tall Paul »

The '44 was bottled in 1985, doing a bit more research about the label.

the '67 was bottled in 1973.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Unless someone on the Forum would like to make you an offer, your best bet is probably one of the following:
(a) find a local wine merchant and offer to sell them the bottles — you might get £70-100 for the three bottles. They will look for a low price since they will have the risk of perhaps not selling them for some months, and then perhaps selling them and having to give a refind if the bottles are no good.
(b) (my recommendation) find a local auction house willing to sell these as individual bottles. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an acutioneer in Manchester who holds regular wine sales, but I think I recall one in Chester. A little Googling should find someone suitable. You run the risk of not selling the bottles and will have to pay a seller's commission but could expect a similar net sum.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.