Taylors Quinta De Vargellas - 1965

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Ian Sewell
Cruz Ruby

Taylors Quinta De Vargellas - 1965

Post by Ian Sewell »

Hi,

I have been given a bottle of Taylors Quinta De Vargellas - 1965 by an elderly relative. There doesn't look to be any damage to the cork and no leakage is evident.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth anything or (preferably!) whether it's drinkable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Welcome Ian.

If there is no leakage then there is a fair chance that it is drinkable. Port is very robust and can normally take a fair amount of abuse and still be enjoyable. There are no notes for 1965 but there is one for 1967 from AHB - Vargellas 67.

Vintages are extremely important to Port so there is no guarantee that the 65 will match the 67 but it is a good indicator that your Port should be delightful if kept well or maybe merely very good. Vargellas is one of the great Single Quinta Vintage Ports so you have a reasonable chance.

As its provenance is unknown and it is not a declared vintage it will not be worth a great amount of money so you should get considerably more pleasure from drinking it. Stand the bottle upright for a few days then decant carefully to get rid of the sediment, of which there will be a great deal. Leave for a couple of hours in the decanter and then enjoy one of life's great pleasures. Drink up within a coupe of days, Vintage Port doesn't last as long after opening, it's a bit more delicate.

Finally, post a tasting note, so that we can all appreciate it.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would also add that there is a member of this forum who might be very interested in your bottle as he was born in 1965 and, the vintage not being a widely declared one, he is always interested to buy or share bottles from '65.

Derek is probably also the only person who is able to provide you with a tasting note on this particular vintage.

And welcome to the Port Forum website!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth anything..
At auction, around 25-30 quid.

Not really worth the hassle of trying to sell, unless you live near a wine auction (or Derek!)

It should be very drinkable, but possibly a little over the hill - so enjoy!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Taylors Quinta De Vargellas - 1965

Post by DRT »

Ian Sewell wrote:Taylors Quinta De Vargellas - 1965
:D :D :D :D :D

Ian, I am the Derek referred to above and I would certainly be intereststed in buying the bottle from you if you choose to sell it.

I have four bottles of this already buy have not yet tasted one. As others have stated above it is likely that this wine is drinkable but past its best. My interest in the 1965 vintage is more or less entirely down to the significance of the year rather than the quality of the wines, but that doesn't mean they cannot be enjoyed.

Let me know if you are interested in selling and we can take things offline. If not, please let us know what you think of it when you drink it.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn