Smith and Woodhouse for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Jesslouisethomas
Cruz Ruby

Smith and Woodhouse for sale

Post by Jesslouisethomas »

I have three bottles of vintage Smith and Woodhouse crusted port bottled in 1985 that I would like to sell. I have tried uploading images but it says they are all too large even though they're not (so I can send to you if need be)! Anyway I have had the three bottles since 2012 and they have been stored lying down in a kitchen cupboard since then. Ideally I am looking for £120 for the three. I am based in London.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Smith and Woodhouse for sale

Post by jdaw1 »

You are welcome to email the pictures to me (contact details) and I’ll cope. And I am in South London, and willing to accept delivery on behalf of somebody else.

For a crusted port your pricing is very optimistic. They do not have much value. Could you drink them? Is there somebody to whom you could give them as a gift?
Jesslouisethomas
Cruz Ruby

Thank you. I've emailed you directly.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I suspect that your target price is that of Smith Woodhouse 1985 Vintage Port. But this isn’t V.P., and (per our Standard advice to would-be vendors), you should expect half retail.

The Port will be pleasantly drinkable, perhaps better perhaps worse (lifetime storage dependent). Is there somebody to whom you could give them as a gift?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Jesslouisethomas wrote:Ideally I am looking for £120 for the three.
That would be a reasonable price in the US, as that's roughly $160. The 1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port typically retails (internet) for about $70/bottle, so $55/bottle for a Crusted Port seems about right.

But as Julian said, that's retail. Private transactions are typically lower. Also, that's the US. Prices in England are also typically lower.

I'd make you an offer if I were on that side of the Atlantic, but the cost to transport the bottles to Seattle would effectively double the price so it wouldn't be worth it for me.
Glenn Elliott
Jesslouisethomas
Cruz Ruby

Thanks for the info both. That's helpful. Based on that I would be happy to accept £70 for the three bottles if anybody is interested. Otherwise I'll have to consider giving them way as gifts.