Ferreira Porto Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
sarahj
Cruz Ruby

Ferreira Porto Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Port

Post by sarahj »

Hello,

I've been given a bottle of this by a friend who does the odd house clearance and as he knew I liked to drink Port he gave it to me. It was stored in a box along with a few other bottles and may well have been there for years. It is dated 1981 and I've managed to locate the same current bottle online, though it calls it Tawny Port. It would cost around £35 to buy the current 2015/16 bottle so I just wondered if it would a) be any good to drink after all these years and b) is it worth anything. If it is a Tawny Port, but they just didn't call it that back then, then I'd prefer to sell it and buy a nice late bottled vintage to enjoy instead. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Sarahj
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Ferreira Porto Duque de Braganca 20 Year Old Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

It probably still is drinkable, depending on storage. It is not worth much money, not worth the hassle of selling. I suggest opening it with some friends and hope for the best.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's quite a pleasant port but as Andy says it is not worth much. If you sold it at auction or on ebay you might get £5-10 for it.

The best thing to do would be to drink it. Despite the bottle age, I would expect it to be enjoyable. At worst it will taste a little like barley water.

It is a 20 year old tawny port, the Duque de Braganca name is the branding that Ferreira use to create a marketing niche for their 20YO.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
sarahj
Cruz Ruby

Post by sarahj »

Thanks for the replies. I shall drink it and hope for the best.