Warres 1977 price

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Beckaweina
Cruz Ruby

Warres 1977 price

Post by Beckaweina »

Hello,
I'm new to the world of Port. I have 9 bottles of Warres 1977 i want to sell. Never taken out the case. I have done a little research and apparently its a very good yr for Port. I contacted a company on line and they offered £200 for all 9 bottles. This is much lower than ive seen in appraised for online.
Would really appreciate the opinion of someone that knows a bit about Port. Thanks ever so much :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Warres 1977 price

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello Beckaweina, and welcome to :tpf:.

Others more expert than I will doubtless comment, but you might want to start by reading our Standard advice to would-be vendors.

Also, where are you? Or, more relevantly, where are the bottles? (At least approximately: which county or city?)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi,

I think the offer from the wine merchant is a little less than you might get in a private sale but it is quite typical of wine merchants to buy at low prices so they can make a reasonable profit. If you factor in that they will have to charge their customer 20% VAT to pass that back to George Osborne you can understand why they wouldn't be paying top whack.

According to wine searcher the retail price is from about £55 upwards so somewhere around £30 per bottle in a private sale would seem reasonable to me.

Best of luck selling them. They are very tasty so I am sure someone here will be interested.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Beckaweina
Cruz Ruby

Post by Beckaweina »

Thank you so much for your replies. Im in Folkestone in Kent. If you think thats a decent offer then I may just take it up. I figured selling to someone who will then sell it on would bag a fair bit less than I had seen it going for online. Just thought as it is a particulary good year it may have been a little higher. Maybe ill try for a little haggle and see where it gets me.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I would advise you to hold off for a week or two to see if anyone here makes you an offer. The offer from the wine merchant is the very least you could expect, possibly even less than that.

It would be helpful if you could explain the background of how you came to own these bottles, how/where they have been stored and perhaps post a picture to show their condition.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Hello Beckaweina,

As a 77 baby I enjoy port from this year. I have sent you a PM.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

If in good condition, you should be able to get £230-245 from a private party.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?