Smith & Woodhouse Port in Presentation Case

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Pammy
Cruz Ruby

Smith & Woodhouse Port in Presentation Case

Post by Pammy »

I have two presentation cases each one containing a 37.5 cl bottle of Smith & Woodhouse Old Priory Port and 2 port glasses. There is no date on the port, but I am led to believe it was stored in the box in a loft for around 20 years. The seal of each bottle is perfect and the presentation cases is fair to good condition. I wish to sell them but looking for some advice on how much they are worth/what collectors may be prepared to pay.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Smith & Woodhouse Port in Presentation Case

Post by jdaw1 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they are not worth much at all. A half bottle of non-Vintage low-grade ruby might be, perhaps, a fiver. So a tenner for the two. And the glasses will be terrible.

Do you drink? Do you drink Port? Could you drink them? Do you have friends who could be the ‘lucky’ recipient of this ‘valuable’ gift? Could you cook with them? (A Bolognese is typically much improved by the addition of lots of Port.)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I don't think these have any value at all. They are a modest port meant to be drunk sooner after bottling. They will not have been improved at all by 20 years of storage in the loft.

I agree with JDAW's suggestion though - cooking with them is an excellent idea. I made a beef stew this afternoon and used port instead of red wine as one of the ingredients.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Pammy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Pammy »

Hi thanks for your feedback, in the bolognese it goes then! It had been donated to the boys football team fundraising so looks like I will be putting a tenner donation in the pot! Thank you for your comments, good to know as I had no idea what to do with it in case they were worth something.
Pam
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Pammy wrote:It had been donated to the boys football team fundraising so looks like I will be putting a tenner donation in the pot!
Nonsense. Easily worth £250. Which is therefore what you should put in the pot.