T85 at Tesco

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

T85 at Tesco

Post by uncle tom »

My local Tesco is offering T85 at £40 - a full £45 off their normal price and well within the range of current auction prices - worth looking out for..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: T85 at Tesco

Post by WS1 »

will have a look at mine too!
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I hope some are on the shelves when I get back to Belfast...
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

uncle tom wrote:My local Tesco is offering T85 at £40 - a full £45 off their normal price and well within the range of current auction prices - worth looking out for..
Certainly a much better price, but... I am wary of this stock, as I expect much of it may have spent a long time upright in less than ideal conditions. Temperature should have been reasonably steady in-store at around 20 degC, and it is possible that the bottles in the back may be lying down (in their boxes) until put on the shelves, so it might not be that bad I guess... Would be interested to hear - promptly, if anyone takes the plunge - to know if worth it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Obviously no guarantee, Phil, but I bought one of these from my local Tesco a couple of years ago that was completely covered in dust from standing on the top shelf for months and it was delicious.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Obviously no guarantee, Phil, but I bought one of these from my local Tesco a couple of years ago that was completely covered in dust from standing on the top shelf for months and it was delicious.
Cheers Derek; clearly the text in bold might be the issue, but good to know that one of the dusty ones was ok.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Certainly a much better price, but... I am wary of this stock, as I expect much of it may have spent a long time upright in less than ideal conditions. Temperature should have been reasonably steady in-store at around 20 degC, and it is possible that the bottles in the back may be lying down (in their boxes) until put on the shelves, so it might not be that bad I guess... Would be interested to hear - promptly, if anyone takes the plunge - to know if worth it.
At that age, relatively brief periods of upright storage are not a major concern, IMO..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Obviously no guarantee, Phil, but I bought one of these from my local Tesco a couple of years ago that was completely covered in dust from standing on the top shelf for months and it was delicious.
Cheers Derek; clearly the text in bold might be the issue, but good to know that one of the dusty ones was ok.
I have noticed these on the shelves of many Tesco's stores over the years and can only ever remember seeing one bottle on each shelf, so presumably the remainder are kept lying down in the store room.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

None in my local tesco; they also have Graham 30yr Tawny at £50 down from £70.
pieceofthepast
Cruz Ruby

Post by pieceofthepast »

uncle tom wrote:My local Tesco is offering T85 at £40 - a full £45 off their normal price and well within the range of current auction prices - worth looking out for..
I'll checkout what my local store is offering this for as well.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

pieceofthepast wrote:
I'll checkout what my local store is offering this for as well.
I fear that ship has sailed. Having bought four I returned to Tesco a week later on the off chance they had a few more, and there it was; back at £85 a bottle. Garn! As we say in these parts. I am tempted to add 'gadzooks', but would be censured. Welcome.