Niepoort. 20 years old port bottled in 1973

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Scotty100279
Cruz Ruby

Niepoort. 20 years old port bottled in 1973

Post by Scotty100279 »

I have a bottle of "Niepoort's 20 years old PORT. Aged in wood and bottled 1973 by NIEPOORT & C.a, L.DA EST 1842, OPORTO/PORTUGAL."
It is presented in a dark green bottle with a brown label which looks very aged and old.

Still has "instituto do vinho do porto" seal over the lid. Number FK003719

I am really after the history of this bottle and any information someone could give me. I have been in touch with a few wine/port merchants whom unfortunately can't give me any information.

Thanks in advance
Scott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Niepoort. 20 years old port bottled in 1973

Post by jdaw1 »

Please post a picture. Instructions on how to do so are here.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

20 year old would be a tawny port aged in bulk in casks and then bottled when it was ready to sell / drink. Wood-aged ports like this don't necessarily age that well in bottle afterwards - they've sometimes been filtered and are effectively quite neutral when bottled. In fact they can deteriorate once bottled, especially if stored in sub-optimal conditions (typically where they swing between being very warm and very cool, so that corks contract and expand).

20 year old is still a standard tawny port variety at roughly the £30 price mark. Many brands make one. This bottle is unlikely to be particularly valuable - Niepoort is a very good company and they make very good wines but this one may be past its best. Perhaps you should chill it slightly (standard for tawnies, especially when drunk in summer) and drink it with friends?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
MacAllan
Cheap Ruby

Post by MacAllan »

Last year I had a Ni 20 bottled in 1972, and the juice was superb. They keep extremely well over time.
It is not worth more than 25£, but the taste is like an old colheita. So Lucky You!
MacAllan