Warre's 1977 Vintage Port for sale (Valuation & Advice?)

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
gus_t27
Cruz Ruby

Warre's 1977 Vintage Port for sale (Valuation & Advice?)

Post by gus_t27 »

Hello all,

I am trying to sell a case of Warre's 1977 Vintage Port that I was given as a christening present 22 years ago.
It has been stored in a cool, slightly damp cellar. It is from Oporto as stated on bottle label and 21% alc/vol. The labels do appear slightly grubby and some have lost their stick. Will this be a big problem when trying to sell?
I will attach photos, and can provide more photos on request.

I look forward to anyone's response!

Many thanks,
Gus
Attachments
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 10697 times
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Warre's 1977 Vintage Port for sale (Valuation & Advice?)

Post by SushiNorth »

Gus -- where are you located? How were the bottles stored (side/upright, in box, etc)? Have they been transported around?
Last edited by SushiNorth on 13:18 Wed 18 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
gus_t27
Cruz Ruby

Post by gus_t27 »

Hi
I am located near Brighton in West Sussex, England. Bottles stored in the crate in a cool cellar. No transportation.

Cheers,
Gus
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi Gus, Warre '77 is a lovely, albeit slightly variable port, but is one of my favourites.

It sounds like your bottles have been stored well, so assuming there is no capsule damage and the colour looks good and dark, then these bottles should be in good condition. The labels falling off is less of an issue - this often happens in good cellar conditions, and in the case of these bottles the bottle itself has Warre 1977 embossed in the glass as well as (should be) on the capsule. (if you want to re-stick the labels, a few dabs of wallpaper paste is quite effective).

If you've seen our standard advice to sellers, then you'll know to expect roughly half of retail for bottles in good condition when sold privately or at auction, so I would expect you to get somewhere in the region of £350-500 for the case of 12 (i.e. roughly £30-40/btl)
gus_t27
Cruz Ruby

Post by gus_t27 »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info!
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Could you let us know what the port levels in the bottles are please - shine a torch through the glass if it is difficult to see - are they in the neck, and if so by how much, or below the bottom of neck (the shoulder). Also, could you please post some pictures of the tops of the bottles to see capsule condition. Warre 77 can be very nice indeed. Thanks.
gus_t27
Cruz Ruby

Post by gus_t27 »

Hi Dave,

All the levels are well in the neck, most likely full but the bottles are very dark so its hard to tell but you can feel when holding them.
I have taken all requested photos but I cannot get them small enough to upload on here even after exporting and lowering quality multiple times!
Do you have an email I can send them to instead. I have photos of the bottle tops, case, labels and attempted bottle level shots.

Thanks,
Gus
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

Gus, I have sent you an email.
StuartC
Cheap Ruby

Post by StuartC »

Hi Gus,

I'm the director of Wine Auctioneer. We've sold a couple of Lots of Warre's 1977 Vintage Port (and have another Lot in current auction). Based on our sales history, I'd suggest likely selling price of approximately £50 per bottle. In terms of condition, labels do fall off, that's natural and acceptable. However, I would advise against re-gluing those same labels back on the bottle - many people see re-attached labels as evidence of potential bottle-tampering; far better to present with labels held to bottle by elastic bands - it's a show of honesty.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

StuartC wrote: 09:55 Fri 20 Jul 2018 Hi Gus,

I'm the director of Wine Auctioneer. We've sold a couple of Lots of Warre's 1977 Vintage Port (and have another Lot in current auction). Based on our sales history, I'd suggest likely selling price of approximately £50 per bottle. In terms of condition, labels do fall off, that's natural and acceptable. However, I would advise against re-gluing those same labels back on the bottle - many people see re-attached labels as evidence of potential bottle-tampering; far better to present with labels held to bottle by elastic bands - it's a show of honesty.
Great advice!

Welcome to :tpf: Stuart.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
StuartC
Cheap Ruby

Post by StuartC »

DRT: :990066:
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

Hi Stuart

Great advice, and thanks for the more accurate estimate. For precision, is £50 (£600 for 12) what Gus could expect to get net, or a gross figure excluding shipping to an auction and commission etc.? Thanks.
gus_t27
Cruz Ruby

Post by gus_t27 »

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the advice!
StuartC
Cheap Ruby

Post by StuartC »

Hi Dave,

Estimate is hammer price. We charge a £5/Lot listing fee and low 5% seller commission; and can assist with arranging courier for uplift and delivery to us. As I don't want to spam your thread, you can check full requirements and fees on our website - https://www.wineauctioneer.com/getting- ... lling-wine.

Cheers,
Stuart.