where to stay in London?

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

where to stay in London?

Post by Glenn E. »

In order to ensure that I am able to make it back to my hotel after any Port tastings that I attend while in London this fall, in what area of the city should I stay?

We'd like for the hotel to be within easy walking distance of a zone 1 or zone 2 tube station, but I assume that covers a rather large area. I'd rather not need 45 minutes by tube to return to the hotel after a lengthy and relaxing visit to the Bung Hole, for example.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: where to stay in London?

Post by DRT »

Glenn,

Try this search on LateRooms.com. The search is centred on the postcode of TBH and shows hotels and tube stations on a map. You will need to alter the dates I have used in the search.

If you want to give us some idea of budget, dates and other things you want to do apart from drink Port we can perhaps offer up some specific recommendations on hotels. PM might be better for specifics :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:other things you want to do apart from drink Port
:shock:
There are other things to do in London besides drink Port?

Thanks for the link, we'll see what we can find!
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you're looking for budget (small but adequate) I can recommend the Travelodge in Covent Garden. That is about 5 minutes walk from the Bung Hole.

If you're splashing out because it's a special birthday trip, the Rosewood is directly opposite the Bung Hole and is quite a special place to stay (I hear).

Both hotels are within a 5 minute walk of Holborn tube station.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

When I stay overnight in London for the tastings, I mostly use Travelodge; as I'm spending very little time in the room, I'll just go for the cheapest available within ~20min tube ride. Some can be quite noisy (where traffic/trains are immediately outside, such as Aldgate East; My preferred are Bethnal Green, Covent Garden, and Farringdon. If I'm booking with less notice and prices are too high/unavailable, I've used a couple of the budget hotels out near Paddington (typically found/booked through travelrepublic.com or laterooms.com); again, ok if you just want a bed and spend little time in the room.

However, if staying in London for a few nights with my wife, and potentially using the room more, then I would usually choose a nicer hotel; I've stayed in several in the Earls Court - Gloucester Rd area; Only slightly more expensive if booked far enough in advance. A little further out, though also directly down the Piccadilly line from Holborn, so viable for "last tube home" after TPF at TBH too.