Help organizing the trip

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Help organizing the trip

Post by RonnieRoots »

Cynthia, Jeff: my wife and I did the Pinhão-Provesende trail last week. It is called the "Trilho de S. Cristovão", and is well marked in both directions. Especially the first part (if you start in Pinhão) is a rather steep climb, but after that it is a relatively comfortably walk. I guess it will take you 1,5 - 2 hours to do it one way. We split it up in two, because I had to carry our one year old boy on my back. So we walked from Pinhão to Quinta do Junco and back the first day and from Provesende to Junco and back the second day. The walk through the vineyards of Quinta do Junco (which itself isn't more than a ruin) is incredibly beautiful, and you'll have great views to a number of famous quintas, including Terra Feita, Noval, Eira Velha and Cavadinha.

Have fun!
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

Ronnie, thanks for this. I was in Pinhão a week or two ago and asked again - there are no maps, but as you say it is well marked. I took photos of the bill-board alongside the kiosk outside the train station, but all information is in Portuguese, and it's not really directions. And I was wrong - it's not 15 but 5 km - probably just feels like 15 with the hills - and a toddler on your back! Well done you! I am hoping to get up there soon - if I can work around the train strikes!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as it is a very pleasant and beautiful walk. I'm not quite sure though if SFE employees are allowed on TFP territory! :wink: :P