Travelling to portugal during a national railroad strike

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Travelling to portugal during a national railroad strike

Post by g-man »

is this possible? =)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Travelling to portugal during a national railroad strike

Post by DRT »

It is possible to travel anywhere during a railroad stirke provided you walk, run, drive, fly, sail, ride a horse/mule/ox or swim :wink: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you were planning to use the train to get to / from Pinhao or further upriver, you'll find it a bit of a pain - but hire a car or use a taxi. The taxis will likely be very busy.

There's probably a pretty good bus service around the Douro, but I've never used it nor seen anything about it. You'll probably have to ask a local to help out if you plan to travel by bus.

Or change your plans and book yourselves onto one of the Douro cruises. I did one about 18 years ago and it was a brilliant trip.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Or change your plans and book yourselves onto one of the Douro cruises. I did one about 18 years ago and it was a brilliant trip.[/quote]

Unfortunately due to a dispute between the government and the river authority the Douro is effectively closed...they are arguing over the fees for placing the navigation buoys so the river authority removed them all and therefore the big boats cannot navigate the river...happy days.