The Yeatman Hotel

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

The Yeatman Hotel

Post by JacobH »

It looks as if the Taylor Fladgate Partnership's new hotel in Oporto is going to open in a couple of weeks' time. The website is worth a look as at least some of the photos look like they are actually of the hotel! (Though the most amusing one is the one which has clearly had a view of Oporto photoshopped into the window!). Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.

No news about what will be on offer in the restaurants or bars, though I would expect them to be very good considering the quality of the one in the Taylor's lodge.

The typography in the logo is horrible:

g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by g-man »

Very cool Jacob,

can I also ask you or an admin to repost this to the travel section?

it's good info.

Looking through the page, they have Dick's wine bar for that glass of port!@

Can someone tell me what the "rack" rate is?

do you get a free pair of breasts with your stay?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

g-man wrote:Can someone tell me what the "rack" rate is?

do you get a free pair of breasts with your stay?
More mundanely it is the advertised rate that the hotel charges if you turn up off the street looking for a room, so usually the highest rate for the room. The name comes from the fact that they used to have a rack on display containing the prices on movable pieces of paper or plastic/metal letters.

I'm afraid that I can't move this thread, so I'll have to wait for a kindly admin. :oops:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote:Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.
As I recall the Pestana Porto, just down the hill from Vinologia, is €200 per night so the Yeatman's rate doesn't seem too out of line. The Pestana is a very high-end hotel, but I expect the Yeatman to be at least its equal in terms of quality. The Pestana's only real advantage will be that it is right down on Cais da Ribeira on the waterfront in Porto, as opposed to up on the hill above VNdG.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
JacobH wrote:Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.
As I recall the Pestana Porto, just down the hill from Vinologia, is €200 per night so the Yeatman's rate doesn't seem too out of line. The Pestana is a very high-end hotel, but I expect the Yeatman to be at least its equal in terms of quality. The Pestana's only real advantage will be that it is right down on Cais da Ribeira on the waterfront in Porto, as opposed to up on the hill above VNdG.
Just looked online. Nov/December rates are only 150-160E

is there a reason to avoid in nov/december?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

g-man wrote: is there a reason to avoid in nov/december?
Rain and cold, but otherwise it's fine.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

JacobH wrote:More mundanely it is the advertised rate that the hotel charges if you turn up off the street looking for a room, so usually the highest rate for the room. The name comes from the fact that they used to have a rack on display containing the prices on movable pieces of paper or plastic/metal letters.
Thanks, Jacob. I looked up the webside before I read your explanations and asked myself the same question.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

The Yeatman restaurant is now the recipient of Oporto's first ever Michelin star - decanter article here.

A great result for them.
Rob C.