The Yeatman Hotel

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
Post Reply
User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

The Yeatman Hotel

Post by JacobH » 12:09 Wed 14 Jul 2010

It looks as if the Taylor Fladgate Partnership's new hotel in Oporto is going to open in a couple of weeks' time. The website is worth a look as at least some of the photos look like they are actually of the hotel! (Though the most amusing one is the one which has clearly had a view of Oporto photoshopped into the window!). Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.

No news about what will be on offer in the restaurants or bars, though I would expect them to be very good considering the quality of the one in the Taylor's lodge.

The typography in the logo is horrible:

Image
Image

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3341
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by g-man » 14:06 Wed 14 Jul 2010

Very cool Jacob,

can I also ask you or an admin to repost this to the travel section?

it's good info.

Looking through the page, they have Dick's wine bar for that glass of port!@

Can someone tell me what the "rack" rate is?

do you get a free pair of breasts with your stay?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by JacobH » 15:17 Wed 14 Jul 2010

g-man wrote:Can someone tell me what the "rack" rate is?

do you get a free pair of breasts with your stay?
More mundanely it is the advertised rate that the hotel charges if you turn up off the street looking for a room, so usually the highest rate for the room. The name comes from the fact that they used to have a rack on display containing the prices on movable pieces of paper or plastic/metal letters.

I'm afraid that I can't move this thread, so I'll have to wait for a kindly admin. :oops:
Image

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3339
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by Glenn E. » 19:43 Wed 14 Jul 2010

JacobH wrote:Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.
As I recall the Pestana Porto, just down the hill from Vinologia, is €200 per night so the Yeatman's rate doesn't seem too out of line. The Pestana is a very high-end hotel, but I expect the Yeatman to be at least its equal in terms of quality. The Pestana's only real advantage will be that it is right down on Cais da Ribeira on the waterfront in Porto, as opposed to up on the hill above VNdG.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3341
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by g-man » 19:45 Wed 14 Jul 2010

Glenn E. wrote:
JacobH wrote:Rooms seem to be starting at about €230 a night, which I think is somewhat on the pricy side for Oporto but perhaps it will work for them.
As I recall the Pestana Porto, just down the hill from Vinologia, is €200 per night so the Yeatman's rate doesn't seem too out of line. The Pestana is a very high-end hotel, but I expect the Yeatman to be at least its equal in terms of quality. The Pestana's only real advantage will be that it is right down on Cais da Ribeira on the waterfront in Porto, as opposed to up on the hill above VNdG.
Just looked online. Nov/December rates are only 150-160E

is there a reason to avoid in nov/december?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

User avatar
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1965
Joined: 08:28 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: Middle Earth

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by RonnieRoots » 09:20 Mon 16 Aug 2010

g-man wrote: is there a reason to avoid in nov/december?
Rain and cold, but otherwise it's fine.

User avatar
Axel P
Niepoort 1977
Posts: 1715
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by Axel P » 07:48 Wed 01 Sep 2010

JacobH wrote:More mundanely it is the advertised rate that the hotel charges if you turn up off the street looking for a room, so usually the highest rate for the room. The name comes from the fact that they used to have a rack on display containing the prices on movable pieces of paper or plastic/metal letters.
Thanks, Jacob. I looked up the webside before I read your explanations and asked myself the same question.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: The Yeatman Hotel

Post by RAYC » 17:42 Fri 02 Dec 2011

The Yeatman restaurant is now the recipient of Oporto's first ever Michelin star - decanter article here.

A great result for them.
Rob C.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests