This years Regatta

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

This years Regatta

Post by Axel P »

Tom and I had the pleasure to sail on the Sandeman boat last week. In the beginning we thought we could not participate since our rudder pivot broke, but some highly skilled portuguese sailors fixed it in time.

From a spectacular position (right beside David Guimaraens in the pole position) we had some slight problems in maintaining our position since we (meaning the guys who knew what to do - not Tom and me) had slight delays in putting the sail up in the beginning. Spectacular scenes followed, such as the Malvedos boat hitting at least 5 others and turning around 180 deg.

In the end David won in the white Fonseca colours and we absolutely enjoyed the time on board. Lesson learned: winning is not important, unless - of course - you won.

Perfect weather, perfect hosts and a splendid time on the douro I will never forget.

A big thanks to George, Joana, Catarina and the Sandeman team for putting us on board.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com