Quevedo

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Quevedo

Post by benread »

We were privileged to be given a private tour and tasting of the winery at Quevedo. Oscar was our host and treated us to a fascinating tour of one of the more modern port and Douro wine producers. The facility is situated at the top of the hills, near Feradosa station and was purpose built in about 1990.

I understand most of the tours at the winery are organised groups, so if you do plan to visit, I would suggest making prior arrangement to do so.

As it is the first producer I have visited in the Douro region, I am not in a position to make comparative statements. What I will say is that the 5 of us were extremely well looked after by Oscar and had the opportunity to taste with him a number of excellent ports. They have just recently bottled some of the 1996 Colheita and this was the stand out wine for us in terms of immediate drinkability.

We also had the chance to taste potential blends of the 2008 Vintage. One was more immediately approachable, the other had strong tannins and hinted at longer term ageing potential. The final blend is likely to be a combination of the 2 I understand, and doing this ourselves in the glasses gave good results. The two of us with children born in 2008 will certainly be waiting with anticipation for the final blend to be bottled and released!

Most of their ports are also available for sale from the tasting room and we walked away with a number of bottles of the 1996 Colheita and the 2003 LBV (Which had not been tasted but we were keen to try).

A big thank you to Oscar for a great day.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!