A "Not Too Shabby" Visit to the Douro

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

A "Not Too Shabby" Visit to the Douro

Post by KillerB »

There was so much going on that I'm going to set up threads for each of the different parts and Tasting Notes that I have written down. If there are any that I've missed (give me time) then sling 'em in and I will add them into the Header. Straight up in order:

Kopke Tasting at Lodge Sunday 28th June 2009
Symingtons Tasting at Graham's Lodge Sunday 28th June 2009
Tasting and Lunch at Quinta do Crasto Monday 29th June 2009
Tasting at Quinta do Passadouro Monday 29th June 2009
Dinner and megatasting at Quinta do Noval Monday 29th June 2009

What I can say is that the kindness and generosity of all of the houses was astonishing. Thank you to all that hosted us and all the members that helped set this all up - a fantastic trip that I will never forget.

Members Attending:

DRT
ADV (Andy V)
AHB
AP (Axel P)
CMG (Christopher)
THRA (Uncle Tom)
JDAW1
ARK (KillerB)
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A "Not Too Shabby" Visit to the Douro

Post by DRT »

Not too shabby indeed :wink:

A big thanks to the others who helped organise all of this but especially to our fabulous hosts on each and every visit. The Douro is indeed the most welcoming and hospitable place I have ever been and this was a trip that will be very hard to beat.

Perhaps we should persuade someone to set-up a care home for retired port geeks so that we can all live there one day :lol:

Cheers
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

It was a very fun time and I echo Derek's statements
A big thanks to the others who helped organise all of this but especially to our fabulous hosts on each and every visit.
A BIG thanks to all. I can't wait to go back later this year during harvest.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Sounds like an excellent trip. Are there any photos?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

JacobH wrote:Sounds like an excellent trip. Are there any photos?
Yes - in due course
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well for the first time I ventured to Portugal without Roy, shh don't tell him :wink: A small group of us Port friends went and it was a stunning time. There will be a nice full write up with tasting notes in the future, but it will take some time to write up tasting notes and all the activities that went on. Here are some highlights.

the first "mile high" offline at 38,000 feet.

The first midnight offline

A fun time staying and tasting at Passadouro

Macedos...a producer to watch out for as Paul is doing some great things there for dry wines.

Even though I missed part of the tasting, Quinta d. Vale Dona Maria with Sandra Tavares was quite fun. Then the boat ride on the Douro with Sandra, Cristiano Van Zeller, and Miguel Roquette (Crasto) for over 2 hours was incredible. So was Julian swimming in the Douro.

A fantastic visit to Sandeman's Quinta do Seixo with George Sandeman then lunch and a tasting of old Sandeman Ports with George Sandeman at Quinta do Porto. Quinta do Porto is so beautiful.

A visit to Quinta S. Luiz and then being able to stay the night there was an awesome experience to see what life is like at a quinta that is "traditional" in the sense it isn't open for tourists and hasn't been remodeled for modern conveinces, but experiencing life the way workers would have 50 years ago was a once in a lifetime experience. Carla T. was a great hostess. Plus thanks to Carla I found a really cool restaurant in Regua down a small side street that is really really good.

How do rate a tasting that has 36 bottles sitting on the table when you walk in, PRICELESS!!! A complete vertical of all the Symington Vintage Ports from 1970 and 2007 at the Graham's Lodge. Plus 19 component samples from the 2007 Vintage Ports that were used to make the final blends...VERY educational! Many thanks to Dominic Symington for this! and for Gustavo who came in on his day off to help lead the tasting and keep us in line.

The first train pizza and Port offline :thumbsup:

An amazing visit, tasting, and lunch at Quinta do Crasto with Miguel Roquette. BTW, their 2008 Crasto Douro DOC that will be released later this year is a winner! hint hint :lol:

A remarkable tasting, dinner, and overnight stay at Quinta do Noval with Christian Seely and Rute M. that included the 1896 Dow's, 1931 Quinta do Noval, 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional, 1945 Taylors (sadly a bad bottle), 1948 Fonseca, 1967 Quinta do Noval Nacional, 1945 Croft, 1927 Taylor (which the cork said 1927 Croft, opps), 1955 Graham's, and many others. Not to mention the spectacular 2004 Quinta do Noval Touriga Nacional Douro dry wine :yumyum:

It was a great time shared with some great friends.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Andy, thanks for the very detailed roundup.

I think the quality of the trip becomes clearer knowing that you did not mentioning the 64 Nacional on the boat with Cristiano, Sandra and Miguel (thanks a lot Christopher for bringing this).

A trip I will definitely never forget.

Axel
Last edited by Axel P on 21:27 Thu 09 Jul 2009, edited 1 time in total.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Some Pictures

This should be OK for those not on Facebook - let me know if they are not