Quinta de Vargellas

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Quinta de Vargellas

Post by DRT »

Frederick Blais and I were lucky enough to be allowed access to Quinta de Vargellas during our trip to the Douro in September 2008.

Vargellas has been at the heart of the Taylor Fladgate empire since 1893 and it's grapes are the backbone of the brand's classic Vintage Port. This is one of the most outstandingly beautiful and well preserved Quinta's in the Douro. Visiting this place is like stepping back in time but the facilities for the owners, visitors and workers are second to none that I have seen.

Fred and I were treated to a wonderful tasting which included two vintages of Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha and the classic Taylor 2003. My tasting notes from this visit can be found here:
...and here as some pictures from our visit:
Attachments
LTR: Terra feita 05, Vargellas 05, Taylor 03, Vinha Velha 00 and Vinha Velha 04
LTR: Terra feita 05, Vargellas 05, Taylor 03, Vinha Velha 00 and Vinha Velha 04
The tasting at Vargellas.jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Looking west towards Pinhao from a view point on the Quinta
Looking west towards Pinhao from a view point on the Quinta
The railway bridge leading to Vargellas station.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
Quinta de vargellas of the right and Cockburn's Quinta de Canais on the opposite side of the river.
Quinta de vargellas of the right and Cockburn's Quinta de Canais on the opposite side of the river.
Vargellas and Canais.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
Young vines at Vargellas.jpg
Young vines at Vargellas.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
The Vinha Velha (Old Vines) at Vargellas.jpg
The Vinha Velha (Old Vines) at Vargellas.jpg (96.85 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Guest bedroom at Vargellas.jpg
Guest bedroom at Vargellas.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Frederick Blais and Jorge Ramos.jpg
Frederick Blais and Jorge Ramos.jpg (107.66 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Frederick Blais.jpg
Frederick Blais.jpg (113.28 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
The winery complex is in the foreground with the workers accommodation above and to the left.
The winery complex is in the foreground with the workers accommodation above and to the left.
Quinta de Vargellas.jpg (100.98 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn