Best time to visit Porto/Douro?

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Best time to visit Porto/Douro?

Post by JB vintage »

What would you say is the best time to visit Porto/Douro? I have been in Porto 3 times. What time of the year would you say is the best time to visit Porto & Douro? and why?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Best time to visit Porto/Douro?

Post by flash_uk »

Any time between Sunday and Saturday.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

flash_uk wrote: 22:49 Fri 29 Jun 2018 Any time between Sunday and Saturday.
Is that Sunday 1st January and Sunday 31st December? 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Anytime except when Europeans are on their holiday there LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: RE: Re: Best time to visit Porto/Douro?

Post by PhilW »

Andy Velebil wrote:Anytime except when Europeans are on their holiday there LOL.
:O Am imagining the response if I replied to the same question posted on ftlop with "anytime the Americans are not there" ;p
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Anytime except when Europeans are on their holiday there LOL.
:O Am imagining the response if I replied to the same question posted on ftlop with "anytime the Americans are not there" ;p
It’s a bit of a joke and also serious. The Douro and Porto are overrun by tourists now, mostly Europeans. For those of us who’ve been going there a long time, it’s a blessing and a curse. That’s just a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christian
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Christian »

While I agree 100% with Andy that Porto is completely overrun with tourists, I don't feel this yet so much in the Douro Valley... I think the real tourism wave comes in a few years and the place will turn into something Tuscany-like.
But JB Vintage, with regards to your question: If I would have to pick a time, I would always chose the second half of September to travel to the Douro. It's the time of the harvest - which means that most of the important names of the Port trade are during that time. However, they are normally stressed because of their huge responsibilities - and I admire them that they still find the time to guide tourists around and to explain to them everything with a lot of patience and passion. You also have the best photo opportunities, beautiful motives all around. A lot of other Port fanatics are crawling all over the Douro Valley and it's easy to get into contact with each other, to discuss and often to open a few interesting bottles together. You will for sure find a place to tread grapes... While some days might still be pretty hot, the temperature is much more reasonable than in July or August. Just writing these lines make me already want to go there right now... :) The whole valley has a great vibe; especially if the harvest goes well. And you get very quickly a feeling for the quality of the specific vintage...

Porto as a destination is easier - it's great all year around... but also here I like September. The summer heat is retreating, the school holidays are over, therefore less tourism. Still warm enough that you can sit outside in the evenings.
:) "I believe I am responsible for 4% of the port wine consumption in my country..." :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's well worth visiting Oporto at least once in a lifetime for the São João festivities but book a long way ahead if you want a choice of hotel rooms. If you avoid the São João weekend, June is a reasonably quiet month to visit. September is usually a very busy month since that's when the grapes are being picked and people are passing through Oporto to get to the vineyards.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

June is a fantastic month to visit Porto. Just avoid São João as Alex said and you'll have a great time. The weather is more reliable in June than in May.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

The only thing I remind people is the Douro Valley in the summer can be unbearably hot at times. Especially if you come from a country/area that is relatively cool climate and aren't used to it. Though even for me, who lives in a desert area, it wouldn't be fun. Hard to drink Port or wine when it's 40-45 Celsius outside.

I'd avoid July and August. September is more variable, but the first week or so can still be quite hot depending on the year.

For Porto it really doesn't matter as much, weather wise. Even if it's warm during the day in summer it tends to cool down at night due to the proximity to the ocean. The humidity is higher though as a result.