Porto From London City

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Porto From London City

Post by idj123 »

Just received an e-mail from TAP announcing flights from London City Airport and it appears that a round trip next month will only set you back £78-that's so tempting!
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Re: Porto From London City

Post by Christopher »

Giving this a crack later this month, l the flight times are excellent.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

This is very tempting indeed!
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What are the flight times?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

14:50 out and 12:05 return. Very civilised.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Civilised is the word! Left the office at 1 and got the flight out fine. Nice breakfast at Quinta de la Rosa - pick up by Manuel at 9 with plenty of time to catch the flight back and in the office for just after 3.
Full report of a long weekend in Porto and Pinhao to follow.
Porter95
Cruz Ruby

Post by Porter95 »

Road driving from London to Porto is really horrible thing, we drove from London and it was very tiring, also road directions was not correct sometimes and it was too hard to arrive to Porto, sometimes Googlemap did not give correct directions and then we start using usual services for maps for example distcalculator, but was the same I think as Googlemaps Application.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Porter95 wrote: 11:28 Tue 10 Jul 2018 Road driving from London to Porto is really horrible thing, we drove from London and it was very tiring, also road directions was not correct sometimes and it was too hard to arrive to Porto, sometimes Googlemap did not give correct directions and then we start using usual services for maps for example distcalculator, but was the same I think as Googlemaps Application.
Hi Porter and welcome to :tpf:
Driving to Porto from the UK is certainly not an easy trip; Google reckons 20-26hr of driving, and it's not something I'd undertake lightly, although it does at least have the advantage of being able to bring your purchases home yourself, rather than having to send them or pay for extra luggage (and packing). I don't think I'd rely on any 4G/3G/GPRS-based map solution, for sure, and would only do it with a GPS unit with maps installed.
That said, I hope you had an excellent trip aside from all the driving?