Page 7 of 7

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 14:27 Mon 09 Mar 2020
by flash_uk
PhilW wrote:
13:45 Mon 09 Mar 2020
Do we not already have VM for Quinta do Vale Meao anyway?
Yes good spot. It's listed under M alphabetically.
Phil - could you copy the abbreviation list into the first post which you own? Makes it much easier to find!

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 23:12 Mon 09 Mar 2020
by jdaw1
VDM = Quinta Vale Dona Maria” added to the official list.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 23:13 Mon 09 Mar 2020
by jdaw1
flash_uk wrote:
14:27 Mon 09 Mar 2020
Phil - could you copy the abbreviation list into the first post which you own? Makes it much easier to find!
Not copy: move. So that there is one official list, rather than several inconsistently updated.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 08:47 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by flash_uk
jdaw1 wrote:
23:13 Mon 09 Mar 2020
flash_uk wrote:
14:27 Mon 09 Mar 2020
Phil - could you copy the abbreviation list into the first post which you own? Makes it much easier to find!
Not copy: move. So that there is one official list, rather than several inconsistently updated.
Yes good point :-)

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 10:46 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by PhilW
jdaw1 wrote:
23:13 Mon 09 Mar 2020
flash_uk wrote:
14:27 Mon 09 Mar 2020
Phil - could you copy the abbreviation list into the first post which you own? Makes it much easier to find!
Not copy: move. So that there is one official list, rather than several inconsistently updated.
Agreed and done.

Also moved Vale Meao and Van Zeller abbreviations to their correct alphabetic position in list.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 15:13 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by jdaw1
Alpha by abbreviation, or by dominant word in name? Perhaps I wasn't consistent: what is new guidance?

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 18:27 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by Glenn E.
PhilW wrote:
13:45 Mon 09 Mar 2020
I'd agree with VDM as most obvious choice, and to my mind no more confusing with potential Vesuvio single quinta as Gould Campbell GC is with potential new Graham's single quinta (i.e. we already cope with this issue). Do we not already have VM for Quinta do Vale Meao anyway?
Beat me to it. Yes, VM is Quinta do Vale Meao not Vesuvio Malvedos.

VDM also makes the most sense to me. I know we try to keep them as short as possible, but this is one of those cases where the extra length adds significantly to clarity.

Re: RE: Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 21:09 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by PhilW
jdaw1 wrote:Alpha by abbreviation, or by dominant word in name? Perhaps I wasn't consistent: what is new guidance?
Alpha by abbreviation, though I wasn't intending to change the approach - should I revert?

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 22:09 Tue 10 Mar 2020
by AHB
People will want to look up both abbreviation to shipper and vice versa. We should have two lists.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 00:22 Wed 11 Mar 2020
by jdaw1
Many links, in this thread and elsewhere, pointed to the old location of the list. Most, perhaps, all have been edited to point to the new first-post location.

Re: Port House abbreviations

Posted: 00:23 Wed 11 Mar 2020
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:
22:09 Tue 10 Mar 2020
People will want to look up both abbreviation to shipper and vice versa. We should have two lists.
In practice it will be difficult to keep in synch the two lists. Control-F is your friend.