US Port Sales Volume

Data, quotations, and other non-conversational posts containing reference materials.
SD
Cheap Ruby

US Port Sales Volume

Post by SD »

I am trying to find the market leaders by volume in the US - excluding vintage port since the sales vary so much when a vintage is declared. Judging by what I see in stores, Cockburn Special Reserve my be the biggest brand, but I would like to see some hard numbers of cases sold. I could buy the data from Impact, but they want $1995. I presume IVP has the numbers, but are they broken out by country? Where can I get the data in English?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: US Port Sales Volume

Post by RonnieRoots »

IVDP will give you the numbers per category per country, but not split out per brand. Since it is competition-sensitive information, I doubt if the producers are willing to share it easily. But I think you can quite comfortably establish that Cockburn Special Reserve is market leader in both the US and UK.
SD
Cheap Ruby

Post by SD »

Thanks for your reply. I was fairly sure that Cockburn Special Reserve was the biggest brand, but who is in the top five or ten?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My guess is that no-one collects the exact statistic that you are after. Probably the best you might be able to do is to ask the producers - or perhaps to ask the producers' exclusive distribution agents. It is just possible that some of them would be willing to share this information with you is it was for a reason that was something to which they were sympathetic.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bin 27 by Fonseca is the 2nd most popular brand of Port.