Fonseca 1985 VP

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Fonseca 1985 VP

Post by Axel P »

I didnt get David's comparison, but I do understand what he means.

I had my first bottle of F85 roughly 10 years ago and this was the first closed Port I understood right away (unlike the T85). As we opened a Mg of Fonseca 85 the night after the Croft event this even more showed the great potential of it. Much too young to drink now (as the F70), this will go on with a lot of power and finesse. But it will take a while.

The best Port to drink from 85 for me right now would be Graham 85, but the one with the greatest potential would be Fonseca.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Axel P wrote:The best Port to drink from 85 for me right now would be Graham 85, but the one with the greatest potential would be Fonseca.

Axel
This is the sound of a man not rising to the bait.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
Axel P wrote:The best Port to drink from 85 for me right now would be Graham 85, but the one with the greatest potential would be Fonseca.

Axel
This is the sound of a man not rising to the bait.
Took you long enough!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Axel P wrote:
The best Port to drink from 85 for me right now would be Graham 85, but the one with the greatest potential would be Fonseca.

Axel
I am digging both Ramos and Ferreira '85, along with Gould Campbell. Not the biggest names, but some of the nicer drinking ones right now. Have a few bottles of '85 Niepoort. The first one I tried about a year ago was so far lower the '85 Fonseca, that I don't even want to drink the Niepoort!
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

At the Berrys tasting it is strange to relate that out of Taylor, Fonseca and Croft 85 the most drinkable was the Croft (for me). Fonseca is Mr Right and Croft is Mr Right Now, leaving Taylor where exactly? But I did find the wines a bit hard to comprehend. Of course what was really missing from the line up was the Graham.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

At Berry's, I thought that the Taylor started very well but didn't get any better and that the Fonseca started less well than the Taylor but opened right up and became more interesting. The Croft was drinking very well, but I suspect many bottles of Croft would show less well than this. A bottle of Graham's to compare would have been good. The debate continues.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

One of my issues with the wines were how poorly they were decanted, the Fonseca was a bit cloudy and lumpy which doesn't help, and I too wondered if the Croft was rather flattered on the night.