Mayson's Top 20 Buys

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Mayson's Top 20 Buys

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:The leader for the article says "...reviews the main styles and latest trends, and picks out his top 20 to buy".
You're right. My mea culpa was unnecessary.
flash_uk wrote:Who knows...perhaps Richard is sitting reading "his" article thinking "those muppets at Decanter...I didn't pick my top 20 to buy, just a handful of examples in some of the categories."
And lamenting the fact that the fee for the article probably wouldn't even cover two bottles of Ni70.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

This is in decanter magazine right? So while it may be aimed at people who don't drink much port, I struggle to see that it is aimed at novices.

Presumably he wanted to highlight 1970 (alongside 85 and 94) as one of the top vintages of the latter part of C20, as well as having at least one "mature" port in his list. So (if I were in his shoes) I'd rule out 1970 Fonseca, Graham and Dow immediately (all of which are too primary still to fulfil that role) and hesitate over Taylor (too much variation between bottlings to make it a simple recommendation). There are others he could have picked (Warre), but Niepoort 70, Fonseca 85 and Taylor 94 is a pretty good / safe grail list spanning those decades.

In terms of the remaining VP recommendations, i can see the rationale behind recommending Roeda 12 / Noval 12 (a value pick / current en primeur pick), Malvedos 01 (supermarket pick), Bioma / Warre 2011 (recent "great vintage" picks), and if you look through his TN's he has consistently rated Dow Ribeira very highly across a number of vintages (including the 04 here, where he described it as a "wow of a wine").

For TWAIOAs, I can't argue with Sandeman 30 (perhaps San Leonardo, but you have to go to Porto to get it) and Otima is the best 10 i've tried outside those that only seem to be available in Porto. 20s are going to split any debate, but I don't think his picks are outside the consensus "top tier" 20s.

So in terms of picking a handful of ports in each category with UK availability as "top buys", keeping a judicious balance between producers (and presumably also being particularly sensitive to any charges of favouritism because of the Blandy-Symington connection), is the list really that strange?
Rob C.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Others here are more informed than I but it certainly seems a little left field to plump for the Ni70 in preference to the for example more readily accessible (in terms of price and availability) Cr70 which as evidenced from the other night is drinking perfectly at the moment and will continue to do so for some time. The Tayrohn64 was bested by the Pocas64 at the Glenn tasting and is half the price of the former. At the risk of more of Owen's ire, the once a decade Dalva Golden White's really are lovely honeyed wines. :D
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Adding Croft (or Fonseca for that matter) would mean that the pre-00 VPs were represented solely by TFP.
Rob C.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

RAYC wrote:Adding Croft (or Fonseca for that matter) would mean that the pre-00 VPs were represented solely by TFP.
:shock: :wink:
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

RAYC wrote:So in terms of picking a handful of ports in each category with UK availability as "top buys", keeping a judicious balance between producers (and presumably also being particularly sensitive to any charges of favouritism because of the Blandy-Symington connection), is the list really that strange?
I think the list is much more understandable as a set of recommendations in each of the respective categories. It's the "Top 20" thing which doesn't make much sense. Given the challenge of exposing someone to 20 ports, I would not for example put 3 LBVs in the 20.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I have not tried the Dalva, nor do I intend to.
Hear, hear! The voice of reason! Owen, I think we need to put some of this stuff in your oats when you come up to the Port Walk.
Too bad the forum's pet dog wasn't around for the pre-harvest tour tasting.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

flash_uk wrote: Have I said how pointless this all is?
Attaboy, I much prefer this grey damp blanket of pessimism to the wide eyed shouts of joy.
RAYC wrote:This is in decanter magazine right? So while it may be aimed at people who don't drink much port, I struggle to see that it is aimed at novices.

Presumably he wanted to highlight 1970 (alongside 85 and 94) as one of the top vintages of the latter part of C20, as well as having at least one "mature" port in his list. So (if I were in his shoes) I'd rule out 1970 Fonseca, Graham and Dow immediately (all of which are too primary still to fulfil that role) and hesitate over Taylor (too much variation between bottlings to make it a simple recommendation). There are others he could have picked (Warre), but Niepoort 70, Fonseca 85 and Taylor 94 is a pretty good / safe grail list spanning those decades.

So in terms of picking a handful of ports in each category with UK availability as "top buys", keeping a judicious balance between producers (and presumably also being particularly sensitive to any charges of favouritism because of the Blandy-Symington connection), is the list really that strange?
The first point is well made and true, this is not aimed at the total novice. The second about the choice of a 1970 I am less convinced by. It is true that I have not tried the Niepoort 1970 but that reflects its scarcity, whereas if I was looking for a novice 1970, or a value 1970 I should probably start with Warre or the Croft. The Fonseca 85 I doubt anybody would quibble with (Taylor, anyone? *snorts derisively*) but the Fonseca and Taylor 94 both seem remarkably overpriced and unlikely to make the novice feel that port is good value. So I would reiterate my first point that the choice seems random rather than suggestive of an underlying plan.
idj123 wrote: At the risk of more of Owen's ire, the once a decade Dalva Golden White's really are lovely honeyed wines. :D
I hope nobody feels put off by my moaning, I really don't mean to.

if I hear the word 'honeyed' one more time I'll throw these 2 bottles of Krohn 64 over the back hedge...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:if I hear the word 'honeyed' one more time I'll throw these 2 bottles of Krohn 64 over the back hedge...
*hides behind Owen's back hedge*

HONEYED

*waits patiently*
Glenn Elliott
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Glenn E. wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:if I hear the word 'honeyed' one more time I'll throw these 2 bottles of Krohn 64 over the back hedge...

HONEYED

*waits patiently*
+1, since there's two bottles....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

CaliforniaBrad wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

HONEYED

*waits patiently*
+1, since there's two bottles....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
It's getting crowded back here, keep your elbows in!
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

I do not think the quality of the Niepoort in question is in question. In my memory at least. The scarcity may be of some concern however, considering the circulation numbers of Decanter. Shhhhh I say :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Is it this issue of Decanter which has the back page article on Nacional 1931?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

AHB wrote:Is it this issue of Decanter which has the back page article on Nacional 1931?
Yes, the article titled "Quinta de Noval", and referring to Quinta da Noval within the article.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

flash_uk wrote:
AHB wrote:Is it this issue of Decanter which has the back page article on Nacional 1931?
Yes, the article titled "Quinta de Noval", and referring to Quinta da Noval within the article.
No! Oh how cringingly awful.

LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, we had better be nice about something in Decanter or otherwise DecanterMag will never visit the site again.

Let me start the ball rolling; I think Decanter is less completely irritating and vacuous than most other wine magazines.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, we had better be nice about something in Decanter or otherwise DecanterMag will never visit the site again.

Let me start the ball rolling; I think Decanter is less completely irritating and vacuous than most other wine magazines.
Agreed.

I have obtained permission from Decanter to publish the full article here once the current edition leaves the news stands. They have even offered to send me a PDF to make publishing easier. I think that is good form.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I have obtained permission from Decanter to publish the full article here once the current edition leaves the news stands. They have even offered to send me a PDF to make publishing easier. I think that is good form.
That is very good form.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, we had better be nice about something in Decanter or otherwise DecanterMag will never visit the site again.

Agreed.

I have obtained permission from Decanter to publish the full article here once the current edition leaves the news stands. They have even offered to send me a PDF to make publishing easier. I think that is good form.
That's what I'd expect of such a great publication.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:That's what I'd expect of such a great publication.
As a response to Daniel's blatant fawning (rather overdone IMHO) I should like to say the following.
DRT wrote:I have obtained permission from Decanter to publish the full article here once the current edition leaves the news stands. They have even offered to send me a PDF to make publishing easier. I think that is good form.
I hope you will proof read it more thoroughly than whoever allowed the 'de' of infamy to appear between the words Quinta and Noval.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:
As a response to Daniel's blatant fawning (rather overdone IMHO) I should like to say the following.
I hope you will proof read it more thoroughly than whoever allowed the 'de' of infamy to appear between the words Quinta and Noval.
Perhaps the magazine should be renamed Docanter?

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:
The article will be published unedited by me.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote: Docanter?
Liking your work.