Quinta do Noval 1931 bottle needed to appear in Decanter Mag

Anything to do with Port.
DecanterMag
Cruz Ruby

Quinta do Noval 1931 bottle needed to appear in Decanter Mag

Post by DecanterMag »

Port lovers, we hope you can help. We are on the hunt for the very rare Quinta do Noval 1931 bottle for one of our editorial pages on 'Wine legends' to appear in the December issue of Decanter magazine. We have managed to locate one image of the bottle, which I have attached to this post, however, you can't read the label very well. If someone knows of a bottle in a better condition where the label is visible, then we would be very grateful if you could let us know. We can arrange for a photographer to shoot the bottle on location and would be a happy to give the proud owner a credit and a copy of the magazine/photos.

If anyone can help us please get in touch at decanter_pictures@decanter.com or annabelle_sing@decanter.com

Many thanks
Annabelle
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-09-22 at 11.23.18.png
Screen shot 2014-09-22 at 11.23.18.png (234.78 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Quinta do Noval 1931 bottle needed to appear in Decanter

Post by DRT »

Annabelle,

Welcome to :tpf:

Apologies for the delay in activating your account, the Admin team have been off enjoying the harvest for the past few days.

I am sure someone here will be able to help.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Well DRT, you and I drank one of these in June. Where's that bottle now and could it be photographed?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Well DRT, you and I drank one of these in June. Where's that bottle now and could it be photographed?
It is probably still in the cellar where we drank it, but I know at least two members here have unopened bottles in their cellars.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Well DRT, you and I drank one of these in June. Where's that bottle now and could it be photographed?
It is probably still in the cellar where we drank it, but I know at least two members here have unopened bottles in their cellars.
Indeed. I believe that the remaining bottle(s) owned by one member have no visible external markings though (the June bottle may have been one of those; yep, just checked my pics from June (which haven't made it into the VPID yet, must get the backlog sorted) and it only had a handwritten label attached. I don't know if anyone has one with original (or facsimile) label, or clearly marked capsule?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The Fearon bottled bottle opened in June had only an untidy hand-written label. I have ten other Fearon bottles of N31 (from a different source) that have no labels and only identify the bottler on the capsule. I also have a Dolomore bottled N31, which has no label but an embossed capsule identifying it - I could photo this, but don't currently have anything better than the camera in my phone..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Strojer
Cruz Ruby

Post by Strojer »

on the 1. nov. 2014, we are having a private tasting with Noval and Alvaro Van Zeller

We are going to taste:
1827 Noval vintage ”Rebello Valente Allen”
1855 Noval, ”Da Silva” vintage
1900 Noval “Da Silva” vintage
1908 Noval “Da Silva” vintage
1920 Noval “Da Silva” vintage
1931 Noval “Da Silva vintage
1937 Noval “Da Silva” vintage
1960 Quinta do Noval vintage
1963 Quinta do Noval vintage
1966 Quinta do Noval vintage

And i just heard today that someone is bringing Noval 1862, Im hopefully bringing 1955, and i know Alvaro claims he would bring something too (shh, it is a secret).

But i can arrange the Picture taken...

Strojer

P.S. there is stil a seat avaible at the tasting.....
DecanterMag
Cruz Ruby

Post by DecanterMag »

We can arrange for a photographer to come and photograph the bottle if it is believed the label is in better condition than the one I posted originally. Perhaps it might be an idea to take a quick snap on the cameraphone so we can see what it looks like before we arrange a photographer? As much as the tasting sounds like a great opportunity, unfortunately we need to source an image before week ending 17th October, as we go to press on the 22nd.Thanks again everyone for your help on this- we really appreciate it!
DecanterMag
Cruz Ruby

Post by DecanterMag »

Hi all, I realised it's the Quinta Do Noval Nacionale 1931 bottle we require. Sorry for the confusion. If anyone can help please let me know, we are beginning to run out of leads… Many thanks in advance :)
DecanterMag
Cruz Ruby

Post by DecanterMag »

****Quinta do Noval Nacional 1931 not Nacionale! :oops:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I fear that you are going to struggle. Even the bottle you have photographed appears to be labelled as Noval 1931, not Noval Nacional 1931.

I've been lucky enough to drink the Noval Nacional 1931 twice and both times it was from bottles that were unlabelled. I know that Roy Hersh had this twice at one tasting in the last 12 months and I believe those bottles were also unlabelled.

I have yet to see a bottle of Noval Nacional 1931 with a label on it!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

AHB wrote:I fear that you are going to struggle. Even the bottle you have photographed appears to be labelled as Noval 1931, not Noval Nacional 1931.

I've been lucky enough to drink the Noval Nacional 1931 twice and both times it was from bottles that were unlabelled. I know that Roy Hersh had this twice at one tasting in the last 12 months and I believe those bottles were also unlabelled.

I have yet to see a bottle of Noval Nacional 1931 with a label on it!
I suppose you could just slap a facsimile label on there, as that's what most labels of that age are anyway. You could even grub it up a bit to make it look a bit older! Obviously I jest, but if the original bottles were all unlabeled/home labeled, a generic old unlabeled bottle is probably the most accurate anyway, despite its lack of photo appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote: I know that Roy Hersh had this twice at one tasting in the last 12 months and I believe those bottles were also unlabelled.
I believe one of the bottles was from a restaurant in Nassau, and had a Whithams label; if so, the bottle may not be available any more but I expect Roy may well have photos of it (and there is a great story behind the drinking of the bottle too, if Roy is happy to tell it).