The Wine Check in Europe

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

The Wine Check in Europe

Post by djewesbury »

I am not a sponsor of this product but having bought one from the States and found it very useful, I'm rather pleased to see it available here, sold by a company who also sell a full range of polystyrene shipping boxes.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: The Wine Check in Europe

Post by Andy Velebil »

Some of you have seen mine. I've used one since the early production model (and some changes since). It works great and I've traveled all over the states, UK, and Portugal with mine. It's better than all others as even with 12 bottles it's still under the weight limit for flying. Usually I toss a few article of clothes as well in the box.

Worth every penny!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Does the "large bottle protector" accommodate a double magnum?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

The polystyrene shipping boxes seem quite pricey, although you can at least buy them in single quantities. These people also do them but in units of 8/12/24 depending on how many bottles being packed. I bought some and have quite a few left if anyone ever needs some.
Last edited by flash_uk on 20:32 Thu 04 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

flash_uk wrote:The polystyrene shipping boxes seem quite pricey, although you can at least by them in single quantities. These people also do them but in units of 8/12/24 depending on how many bottles being packed. I bought some and have quite a few left if anyone ever needs some.
It all seems very pricey to me. 90 Euros for a nylon bag and a styro shipper? Even at Lazenne's rather outrageous 20 Euros for the styro shipper, that's still 70 Euros just for the nylon bag. Okay, okay, it's a nylon bag with wheels and a shoulder strap.

A 12-bottle Wine Cruzer is only $400 (which, incomprehensibly, converts to 895 Euros???). Sadly that's too heavy for airlines when packed full. My 8-bottle Wine Cruzer is $370 now (790 Euros???), and when full weighs about 45 lbs. It's also indestructible, even by airline baggage handlers. I can pack the other 4 bottles in my hard shell suitcase wrapped carefully in multiple layers of waterproof baggies and dirty laundry.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I've found this really useful and have brought it back full on a couple of occasions. 45kg for the small Wine Cruzer is very pricey when checked in with most European airlines. The main convenient thing about this bag is the size and shape. When you get two 6-packs or a 12-pack they fit in nice and snug. I've never bothered with polystyrene. Pack it out with dirty clothes and bubble wrap and it's light and secure. I've conducted 'drop tests' and can confirm that this works nicely.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:45kg for the small Wine Cruzer is very pricey when checked in with most European airlines.
45 lbs, not 45 kg. ;) The 8-bottle Wine Cruzer weights 16 lbs (Pro version weighs 13). 8 bottles of Port weigh about 28 lbs @ 3.5 lbs per bottle, for a total of 44. I rounded up.

45 kg would be a lot of Port! Or, if you're Julian, it's a 2-pack.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Oops. Sorry. We check our bags in kg even if I still do most other things in lbs!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Sotheby's is promoting its 12 Bottle Wine Carrier.
Image Image Image Image

But $895 ≈ £675!