2007 - will it be a Vintage year?

Anything to do with Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek,

How could you forget the Graham's? It was an absolute stunner.

I get your point, Alan. I disagree but I get your point.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Derek,

If you're going to dismiss me, and you're very welcome, at least get the formula right.

66 = Watery (In comparison to 63!)

I think 66 is a marvelous year, but is trumped by 63.

Alan
That was a popular opinion, but not now. The 63 is undoubtably fabulous, but at only 3 years older than the 66's is starting to show it's age. This was starkly evident at the 2005 FTLOP multi-horizontal-multi-vertical-multi-cuboid-multi-diagonal Offline. Whilst the 63's showed fabulously their 3 yr younger cousins were showing years of development to come.

My view, and I believe I am not alone, is that 1966 was actually a better year than 1963 but it suffered from living in the shadow of a huge production of a classic vintage.

The acid test is to find a way of buying or tasting a 63 v 66 anything and then try to explain why the 63 is almost twice the price :?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

On reflection "undoubtably" probably isn't a real word :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

You bring up a very good point, when you talk of price.

If 66's are only half the price of 63's, what tremendous value for money, which ever way you care to compare them.

Alan

We need more Emoticons! I would have used a clapping one or similar in this Post.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Undoubtedly is
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Undoubtedly is
Yes, but what does it mean? ...and is it the same as undoubteabley?

Der...ek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

undoubtably
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am undoutiddlyumpilly overtired and emotional so no more explanations will register from this point forward.

2007, vintage year?, yes.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2007 is too little too late for my vintage-2006 daughter

Post by jdaw1 »

Well, 2007 is too little too late for my vintage-2006 daughter. Like it or not, she’s getting a case of 2003, whenever Uncle T. says that the time right because the price is minimal.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2007 is too little too late for my vintage-2006 daughter

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Well, 2007 is too little too late for my vintage-2006 daughter. Like it or not, she’s getting a case of 2003, whenever Uncle T. says that the time right because the price is minimal.
But why note buy her a case of 2006 vintage? There are bound to be some good ones out there - Vesuvio, Noval, Vargellas will probably all declare and will produce wines that I have no doubt will develop for 30 years and will probably hold for another 20 after that.

By the time your daughter is 50, you'll be far more worried about how you're going to drink your way through the rest of your cellar before you pop your clogs than she will be worried that the wine you bought her from her birth year is starting to show signs of fading.

But that's from a man whose children were born in '94 and '95...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I don't think you can say that either '66 or '63 is superior.

'63 was a forward year - but not as dramatically forward as '94 - while '66 kept it's head down.

Now we are at the stage when the 66's are really blossoming, and many 63's are starting to run out of steam.

I'm expecting s similar story to unfold with '94 and '97 - but possibly to a greater extreme - my gut feeling is that most '94's will be noticeably in decline by their 40th birthday.

Of recent vintages, my picks for longevity are:

2005 (probably)

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

uncle tom wrote: Of recent vintages, my picks for longevity are:

2005 (probably)

Tom
Are you then admitting you tasted many of these very young Port Tom? 2005 is a hard choice as there will be no general declaration, they are full of fruit but soft and fruity Port. 1991, appart for Dow's and Croft, I haven't tasted any that I feel will not be well past their prime after 40 years. For me 91 does look older than many Ports declared between 77 and 87 at the moment... Fine Port but not for long ageing. 97 and 2000 I love both and 2003 has the fruit of the 94 plus great acidity and tannins that should make them age better. 94 will probably age longer but will certainly evolve differently than anything we have seen so far, as it has already proved.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The '91's are mostly in 'Kevin' mode at the moment, but I feel they have the components to be excellent in the long term.

For the '97's and 00's I base my judgement on a small amount of personal experiance and a lot of comparative reportage.

For 2005 I can only go on the climate of the year and the sentiment of others.

As a broad rule of thumb, the more respect a vintage gets from the trade (as opposed to hype..) - the better it's long term prospects..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

uncle tom wrote:
For 2005 I can only go on the climate of the year and the sentiment of others.

Tom
I was expecting great quality too from 2005 and was surprised it was not declared from what I did read around the web following the harvest. From what I'd taste:

here what I'd buy :
Qta do Vesuvio
Niepoort

I might consider :
Qta do Roriz
Qta do Cavadinha

I would not buy:
Quinta do Vale Meao
Quinta do Vale dona Maria
Quinta do Senhora Ribeira
Quinta do Crasto
Quinta do la Rosa
Quinta da Gricha
Quinta da Ervamoira
Pintas

Unfortunately I did not have the time to taste all the Port that day as my time was over. Obviously 2005 will give me a break for my bank account though Bordeaux will cost me an arm :wink: Taylor/Fonseca/Noval were not present and I would really have like to taste them along others to see how they compare.

Are these Ports made in an easy, over ripe, soft style because this is what they could do with the Vintage or are they are made this way because the market is not ready to buy a declaration and these will please the american palate in hope for easy to drink young VP.

Don't get me wrong, these are not bad Ports(only 3 were), just not the type I'm looking for to put in my cellar.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would not totally write off 2005, as it was a good year. I've had a fair number now and although some will be very good mid-term drinkers. Some are also quite good and have the stuffing to make the grade. There are also some really good SQVP's that will be worth buying.

However, this would have never been a generally declared year after coming on the heels of 2000 and 2003. Call it what you want, but it would have been poor marketing making another generally declared year when the market was still flooded with the '00s and '03s. Business is business after all.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Well, 2007 is too little too late for my vintage-2006 daughter. Like it or not, she’s getting a case of 2003, whenever Uncle T. says that the time right because the price is minimal.
But why note buy her a case of 2006 vintage? There are bound to be some good ones out there - Vesuvio, Noval, Vargellas will probably all declare and will produce wines that I have no doubt will develop for 30 years and will probably hold for another 20 after that.
When you say “good†, do you mean “2003-grade good† or “stuff I’d be more than happy to drink OK†? If it were me I’d rather have a nearly-the-right-date-fabulous-port year than a correct-digits-OK-port year.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

However, this would have never been a generally declared year after coming on the heels of 2000 and 2003
But 1985 was declared following 1980 & 1983, and there has been much written about the 2000 production being low in volume.

Maybe they have become a little too greedy when it comes to setting prices..

Tom
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've only tasted the '05's as barrel samples and seeing the list of Fred makes me eager to try them again now they are in bottle. I was not half as enthusiastic about the Niepoort as most of the reports I've read so far on sevaral boards, thought it was a bit hollow on the midpalate. I did, however, feel that Vale D. Maria was one of the stars of the vintage, showing a dark, concentrated style. The most complete port I've ever tasted from this estate. I was also really positive about the Pintas, combining the structure of '04 with the fruit of '03.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:When you say “good†, do you mean “2003-grade good† or “stuff I’d be more than happy to drink OK†? If it were me I’d rather have a nearly-the-right-date-fabulous-port year than a correct-digits-OK-port year.
Well, that's a little tough to say since I've only tasted the 2006 vintage out of the lagar at the moment. Perhaps next year once the samples are out I'll be able to tell you a bit more clearly.

Personally, I suspect that there will be wines of the 1991 or 1987 Vargellas class on offer from 2006. Wines which are atypically good for the year and which will last and have the power to compete against the average wines for a generally declared year.

Purely from a personal point of view - I would rather have a case or two of the best port from my own birth year than a couple of bases of marginally better port from a year that was close to my own.

But, I stress, that is purely my personal view - you can always buy both for her and then choose which to give her later!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

RonnieRoots wrote:I've only tasted the '05's as barrel samples and seeing the list of Fred makes me eager to try them again now they are in bottle. I was not half as enthusiastic about the Niepoort as most of the reports I've read so far on sevaral boards, thought it was a bit hollow on the midpalate. I did, however, feel that Vale D. Maria was one of the stars of the vintage, showing a dark, concentrated style. The most complete port I've ever tasted from this estate. I was also really positive about the Pintas, combining the structure of '04 with the fruit of '03.
I don't like to bash wines/producer. But try Vale D. Maria uppon opening and you'll be amazed by the stuff, just like I was too. 3 days later and it was dull, over the top and non interesting. Pintas was even worse, tasting strawberry juice. It was very sad to see those Port evolving this way. I did like the 04 Pintas a lot too, but the 05 did not convince me from the opening t'ill 3 days after.

One thing interesting, Vesuvio that was really good in bottle was even better from a cask sample I was able to taste. One sure thing, is that from cask, you taste the best one, from bottle, you taste the blend.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

So far I haven't bought any 2005, but Vesuvio is certainly high on the list.
This is not true, BTW. I did buy 2005. I bought a half bottle of Niepoort last week. I saw it in a store and couldn't resist. I'll have to open it soon and see if I like it better now it's in bottle.

It's good (and also a bit sad) to hear your judgement on the Vale D. Maria and Pintas. I will give them another try too somewhere soon.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

RonnieRoots wrote:So far I haven't bought any 2005, but Vesuvio is certainly high on the list.
This is not true, BTW. I did buy 2005. I bought a half bottle of Niepoort last week. I saw it in a store and couldn't resist. I'll have to open it soon and see if I like it better now it's in bottle.
Ronnie, please do report your impressions on Niepoort Vp 2005.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here's another producer, Quinta do Portal, that is speaking quite highly of the 2007 vintage.

The agriculturist Miguel Sousa (Quinta do Portal) says in his harvest report: "The 2007 harvest was later than usual due to the delay in the vegetative cicle of the vines, more evident in the white varieties. The weather was dry and generous (with the exception of some rain in the beginning of October) and the grapes were very healthy at the time of picking. Despite all the difficulties we had a production increase of 10%.

And winemaker Paulo Coutinho wrote: "The harvest has finally reached its end. The Red wines finished the melolactic and the last white wines are now finalising the alcoholic fermentation. It is truly an unsual year. But the news are very good: the average quality of the wines is high, and if the ageing confirms it, we'll have again (after 4 years) a Portal Vintage Port and the Quinta do Portal AURU. Great premiere for the new winery!"
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Despite all the difficulties we had a production increase of 10%.
So they made more wine - but it doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of the quality.

I'm not sure that I have a complete list of the years that Q. Portal have declared a vintage - they declared six vintages in the ten years between 1995 and 2004, but have they declared 2005?

If they havn't declared '05 then they may be feeling the 'need' for a declaration..

I remain hopeful that '08 will be a sufficiently good year to put '07 firmly in the shade!

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well this is a producer that has reestablished the property in recent years and is looking to make a top notch product since they know putting out a bad product will only hurt them, not help them, at this stage. Their property also sits on the north side of the Douro River, but over the hill, so the climate can be a little bit different than those that sit on the river. I've been to the winery numerous times, as have others here, and its a Quinta that is only interested in a quality product for their VP's. They make a lot of other things, and VP is only a small percentage of their overall line up.

Remember 2005 was good for some, but most were average or just above average. Very few were exceptional, so while 2005 was a decent year, it will never be a "Classic" year. BTW, Portal did put out a 2003 and 2004 VP. The 2003 was very very good and the 1999 is awsome.